Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Senior Big Data Engineer in SEATTLE, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 309492
Directorate: National Security Directorate
Division: Computing & Analytics
Group: Software Engineering & Architectures
Do you want to create a legacy of meaningful research for the greater good? Do you want to lead and contribute to work in support of an organization that addresses some of today’s most challenging problems that face our Nation? Then join us in the Software Engineering and Architectures Group at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)!
For more than 50 years, PNNL has advanced the frontiers of science and engineering in the service of our nation and the world in the areas of energy, the environment and national security. PNNL is committed to providing cutting edge, state-of-the-art solutions in support of our sponsors’ missions. Help us advance this frontier and protect our nation!
Big Data Engineering at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) addresses critical national and global issues by developing data processing/storage systems utilizing cloud, parallel and distributed architectures. We provide high-performance extract-transform-load processing and big data services capabilities supporting high velocity streaming systems, large data sets, applied real-time analytics and artificial intelligence
What is a Big Data Engineer? The ideal candidate is a software engineer with substantial Big Data experience and understands the methods and pitfalls of working with Big Data. These engineers will design, develop, document, test, and debug new and existing software systems, hardware/software interfaces, and/or applications according to industry established software engineering principals and best practices. Senior engineers work and lead collaboratively within a team to execute on the full system development lifecycle including analyzing sponsor needs to determine technical requirements; developing technical specifications based on conceptual design and requirements; developing well-crafted and documented source code; integrating hardware using software; automating manual tasks; and consulting with the end user to prototype, configure, refine, test, and debug programs or systems to meet needs.
The ideal candidate will also possess qualities such as,
• An interest, curiosity and technical depth to support the development and advancement of a variety of applied problems specific to the national security community
• The ability and the desire to learn new technologies as this is a rapidly evolving field
• Technical knowledge in configuring and deploying applications in multiple environments – cloud, container services, clusters
• Contribute to the technical content of proposals and technical products such as journal and conference publications technical presentations, and software releases will be expected. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills
The Big Data Engineer should have working knowledge in several of the following related-skillsets:
• Substantial experience programming in at least one object-oriented programming language such as Java, C#, C++ or Python
• Knowledge of software engineering best practices and software project lifecycles
• Working knowledge of Big Data best practices
• Working with both streaming and batched data
• Choosing the right technology for a specific scenario (NoSQL vs RDBMS, Spark vs Storm vs MapReduce, AWS EC2 vs AWS Lambda)
• Scaling vertically vs horizontally
• Acquiring/integrating data within a distributed environment (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP, OpenStack, Hadoop)
• Data pipeline development (e.g., Spark, NiFi, Kafka, AWS Glue, Kinesis)
• Data cleansing (Bash, Python, etc)
• Scalable/massively parallel databases (Hive, Redshift, Impala, Athena)
• NoSQL databases and cache/indexing services (e.g., Elasticsearch, DynamoDB, HBase, MongoDB, Redis)
The hiring level will be determined based on the education, experience and skill set of the successful candidate based on the following:
Level 3: Manages small to moderate projects and/or major project tasks. Integrates intellectual and technical capabilities of work teams. Enhances technical/professional skills of junior staff through active mentoring and training.
Level 4: Manages moderate to large projects and/or major project tasks. Integrates intellectual and technical capabilities of work teams. Enhances technical/professional skills of junior and senior staff through active mentoring and training. Generates ideas for new capabilities and participates in business development activities.
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or closely related field with strong software design and development skills with 5 years' experience or a master’s degree with 3 years' experience, or a Ph.D. with 1 years’ experience is required
• Bachelor's degree in computer science or closely related field with strong software design and development skills with 7 years' experience or a master’s degree with 5 years' experience, or a Ph.D. with 3 years’ experience is required
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Software Eng & Architectures
Opening Date: 2019-06-20
Closing Date: 2019-08-19