Pacific Northwest National Laboratory User Experience Designer, Level 3 in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 309572
Directorate: National Security Directorate
Division: Computing and Analytics
Group: Visual Analytics
The Visual Analytics Group at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is seeking a User Experience Designer to join our cross-functional project teams building software applications and data visualization tools for national security and energy stakeholders. As a UX designer at PNNL, you will collaborate with world-class scientists, researchers, business stakeholders, agile software development teams and end-users to create world-class user experiences. You will collect user requirements through subject-matter expert and user interviews and workshops. You will design well-documented concepts, wireframes, user-flows, high-fidelity mockups, interactions, prototypes and design specifications throughout the product life-cycle. The ideal candidate will demonstrate a strong knowledge of user-centered design principles and present clear rationale for design decisions through a robust portfolio of useful, useable and desirable designs.
This position is full-time and based in either Richland or Seattle, Washington.
This position will support and lead software engineers and application developers in the design and implementation of a diverse set of user experiences. A successful candidate will:
• Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams to define user interaction and workflow models for research and product features
• Work with project teams to turn observational data and user requirements into creative solutions
• Interact with government customers to define requirements and demonstrate user-centered design vision.
• Write and manage use cases that inform design decisions
• Design innovative solutions to make complex information and interaction as simple to understand as possible
• Establish new visual design systems or work within existing standards depending on project needs
• Design high-quality visual assets that can be leveraged in large complex software environments
• Author design specifications and other artifacts to aid in development
• Create interaction scenarios and storyboards to communicate design ideas
As a level III User Experience Designer, a successful candidate will be expected to:
• Build networks with other personnel at a local and capability level.
• Effectively team to share resources and optimize research and development at the group and division level.
• Mentor junior staff and students.
• Select and develop technical approaches on assignments with occasional oversight on complex problems.
• Support scoping, scheduling, and budgeting at a project or major task level.
• Generate new ideas for proposals and/or business development opportunities while leading development of technical section of small to medium proposals or project plans.
• Serve as a role model for quality, safety, and security.
• Be a leader of technical products that have a direct impact on our users and stakeholders.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation's energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a safer and cleaner place.
Life at PNNL: https://www.pnnl.gov/life-at-pnnl
About Richland, Washington
Located in Richland, Washington, and part of the Tri-Cities community at the confluence of the Columbia, Snake and Yakima rivers, residents enjoy abundant water recreation, award-winning wineries, and more than 300 days of sunshine a year. Far enough away from Seattle and Portland to avoid their rain and daily traffic jams but close enough to visit and enjoy their arts and culture. We're in the perfect position to choose between hiking and snow skiing in the Cascade Mountain range, world-class windsurfing in the Columbia Gorge, or camping in Hells Canyon. Perhaps these are among the reasons the Tri-Cities area is among the top 10 metropolitan growth areas for jobs in the United States, and why Money Magazine included it among its Top 100 Places to Live in America.
Living in the Tri-Cities: https://www.pnnl.gov/living-tri-cities
Diversity and Inclusion: https://www.pnnl.gov/diversity-inclusion
• BS/BA with 5 years of experience
• MS/MA with 3 years of experience
• PhD with 1 year of experience
• Based on client and project requirements, US citizenship is required.
• This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance (see below).
• Strong portfolio of visual and interactive design showing a clear impact in commercial, industrial, or research environments, demonstrated through a clear human-centered design process.
• Passionate and talented in User Experience Design proven within a multi-disciplinary software development environment.
• Creative thinking, strong visual design, software interaction design and the ability to quickly sketch with pen and pencil when needed. Ability to draw, sketch, ideate and storyboard are a plus.
• Demonstrated experience as a “UX team of one” performing activities throughout the research, design and delivery process.
• Demonstrated experience designing complex desktop and mobile applications.
• Experience providing UX artifacts in an agile development cycle, including product planning, writing user stories and acceptance criteria, design specifications and assets.
• Grounding in User-Centered Design philosophy; adept at defining user requirements and use cases to drive design decisions.
• Advocacy for users demonstrated in the software development process throughought design, specification and user evaluation.
• Effective communication across the stakeholder spectrum--a “people person”; who can communicate with clients and technical experts alike.
• Soft skills for interacting and negotiating with developers.
• Experience with data visualization or designing visual analytics system a plus.
• Educational or professional background in science, engineering, human-computer-interaction or data analytics a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Visual Analytics
Opening Date: 2019-07-10
Closing Date: 2019-10-08