Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Software Engineering Manager in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308603
Directorate: Communications & Information Technology
Division: Software Engineering
Come and work for a billion-dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself and make a difference. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, and flexible work schedules.
The IT Software Engineering Division is charged with the integration of technology into all areas of PNNL via a myriad of applications that enable the Mission Support organizations including Finance, Operations, IT, and Human Resources. The goal is maximizing impact via the creation of bold, personal, and effortless experiences.
The IT Software Engineering Manager is responsible for executing the transformation strategy of our application ecosystem. They ensure the life cycle management of these applications from design through creation, deployment, and retirement. This individual works as an innovator and technical thought leader to enable teams to deliver iterative value in a proactive and user-focused manner. They steward a high performing culture focused on team empowerment, experimentation, and challenging of the status quo.
The position directly manages the Technical Team Leads responsible for the creation and evolution of the various applications and reports directly to the Division Director of IT Software Engineering.
YOU @ PNNL:
Key responsibilities and accountabilities include:
• Provide leadership to the Software Engineering organization to ensure it can successfully deliver on organizational mission and goals.
• Work with the Software Engineering Division Director and other IT leaders in development of the overall IT strategy.
• Translate overall IT strategy into meaningful and achievable tactical actions for the Software Engineering Division.
• Evolve the underlying application platforms to maximize the delivery of value while ensuring quality and efficiency.
• Define and enhance methodologies and practices for application life cycle management in-line with best practices and practical experience of automation and continuous improvement.
• Manage Software Engineering Technical Team Leads, developing their leadership skills and technical capabilities to meet the evolving needs of the organization.
• Ensure that application development is conducted in alignment with Directorate policies and standards by both internal and external engineers.
• Work with stakeholders around application governance to define a prioritized set of business outcomes.
• Work with stakeholders to accomplish application development in a manner that improves the technical fitness of the application portfolio and minimizes its ongoing support costs.
• Oversee the application organization's successful delivery of these business outcomes in partnership with colleagues in IT and the broader organization.
• Work with Infrastructure & Operations and Cyber Security to enable a DevSecOps mindset.
The successful candidate shall possess the following personal and professional attributes:
• Critical thinker with strong analytical, data-processing and problem-solving skills.
• Lifelong learner committed to continuous improvement and open to new ways of thinking.
• Strong communication skills with a proven ability to understand key concepts and communicate effectively with technical staff, business stakeholders and senior management.
• Proven ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical people to enhance understanding and drive decisions that lead to positive outcomes.
• Proven ability to collaborate, build relationships and influence individuals at all levels in a matrix-management environment (as well as external vendors and service providers) to ensure that segregation and overlapping roles are identified and coordinated.
• Strong organizational skills, the ability to perform under pressure and management of multiple priorities with competing demands for resources.
• Proficiency in process formulation and improvement.
• Motivated to supporting organizational Mission and Objectives
You work is consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration and Creativity.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation’s energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a cleaner and safer place.
Located in Richland, Washington, and part of the Tri-Cities community at the confluence of the Columbia, Snake and Yakima rivers, residents enjoy abundant water recreation, award-winning wineries, and more than 300 days of sunshine a year. Far enough away from Seattle and Portland to avoid their rain and daily traffic jams but close enough to visit and enjoy their arts and culture. We're in the perfect position to choose between hiking and snow skiing in the Cascade Mountain range, world-class windsurfing in the Columbia Gorge, or camping in Hells Canyon. Perhaps these are among the reasons the Tri-Cities area is among the top 10 metropolitan growth areas for jobs in the United States, and why Money Magazine included it among its Top 100 Places to Live in America.
Success in this role means delivering results through strong technical skill, communications, and collaboration with a relentless focus on what’s best for our users. Success means continually holding oneself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of co-workers. Success is walking into PNNL every work day with a belief that you can positively impact on the research and development efforts at a national laboratory. You know that your work makes a difference with our clients and users.
• Bachelor's degree plus 10 or more years of relevant experience as a software engineer
• 5 or more years’ experience managing high-performing software engineering teams
• Experience managing in an organization primarily using agile development methodologies
• Experience with service-based and eventing architectures
• Experience with adoption of Cloud Technologies, e.g. AWS, Azure, etc.
• Experience in transitioning teams/organizations to automated toolsets including continuous integration and delivery
• Experience in working in a variety of application development and database platforms
• Familiarity with monitoring/logging tools – Splunk, New Relic, AppDynamics, etc.
• Fundamental understanding of infrastructure – Web Servers, Identity, Networking, etc.
• Strong interpersonal and leadership and mentoring skills
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills
• Outstanding record of professional, technical, and management accomplishments along with a reputation for integrity and trust
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Comm & Information Technology
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: Software Engineering
Opening Date: 2018-11-14
Closing Date: 2019-02-11