Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Senior Soil Ecologist in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308266
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Environmental Molecular Sciences
Group: Environmental Dynamics & Simulation
The Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL) is seeking a qualified scientist to enhance our growing team investigating fundamental processes underlying plant- microbe ecology in soil ecosystems. EMSL is a national scientific user facility located at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), supported and stewarded by the U.S. DOE-BER. The selected applicant will have the opportunity to participate and lead multimodal investigations of abiotic and biotic processes that drive the dynamic cycling and stabilization of C and biocritical nutrients in terrestrial ecosystems. Research will focus on molecular to system processes and involve a diverse suite of isotopic, omics, and biogeochemical investigations of field and laboratory studies. Research will emphasize the integration of diverse measurements in order to understand, at the molecular level, the role plant species, nutrient addition and edaphic factors play on carbon mineralization and stabilization. Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team will involve taking a lead role in experimental design, measurements, analysis and publication of results to address fundamental hypotheses pertaining to plant-microbe ecology, soil organic matter-mineral interactions, and biotic/abiotic processes. Candidates will quickly establish themselves as independent principal investigators (PIs) through competitive proposals, and serve as an active resource for others, mentoring early career staff in proposal and scientific career development.
• Established nationally as an expert in soil science or another earth science domain. Establishing new approaches at a national level and advancing state of the art concepts.
• Established network across PNNL, other national laboratories, academia, industry, and professional societies. Collaborating with other Labs, academia, industry and leads multi-Lab projects Leader in the development and execution of division and directorate strategies.
• Conceives, plans, and executes R&D with considerable influence on scientific and technological developments. Displays considerable leadership in defining scientific and technical objectives across programs. Leads in the capture, planning, and technical execution of complex interdisciplinary projects and programs across organizational boundaries with lab level impact, and outside of the laboratory. Serves as a role model for quality, safety, and security.
Discipline, principal job duties/expectations, and qualitative and quantitative measures of performance that exceed the Functional Descriptor:
• Strong demonstrated record of accomplishment with high-impact publications, invited presentations and PI-led funded research in studying carbon and coupled nutrient cycling in terrestrial ecosystems. Experience with stable isotope probing in laboratory and/or field experiments is desirable.
• Demonstrated program development, project management, and/or line management. Experience with multidisciplinary, multi-institutional teams is highly important. Collaborate with others to develop new R&D and operational projects and programs for the group and the division.
• Conducts outreach for EMSL science at national meetings and recruits new EMSL users.
BS/BA with 7 years of experience, MS/MA with 5 years of experience, PhD with 3 years of experience
• Ph.D. in soil ecology, biogeochemistry or an earth science field and/or relevant research experience and a strong demonstrated record of accomplishment with high-impact publications and/or deliverables, and a national reputation. Research efforts focused on the geosphere, hydrosphere, and biosphere and/or interactions of these systems with human activities. Leverages knowledge and tools from fields such as ecology, biology, physics, chemistry, geochemistry, soil science, geology, hydrology, and atmospheric science.
• Demonstrated program development, project management, and/or line management experience. Experience with multidisciplinary, multi-institutional teams is highly important.
• Excellent communications, interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Job Category: Scientists/Scientific Support
Group: Environmental Dynamics & Simul
Opening Date: 2018-12-05
Closing Date: 2018-12-31