Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Senior Optimization Scientist in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307430
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Electricity Infrastructure & Buildings
Group: Optimization and Control
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) seeks a Senior Research Scientist to support major research efforts in advanced optimization and control of large-scale energy systems. This is an extraordinary opportunity to help to lead interdisciplinary, world-class research addressing the science and technology challenges of optimizing complex systems and their interdependency – a need originated from the accelerated evolution of many modern engineered systems. The primary emphasis of this position will be leading the growth of capabilities related to the development of advanced optimization theory and methods that will then be verified with tool development and applications to real-world challenges such as power grid planning and operations, building management, manufacturing and transportation systems.
• Advances state-of-the-art technologies and concepts in the science and technology for a new class of complex optimization problems characterized by very large-scale systems with heterogeneous components, real-world communications networks, physical constraints and uncertainty models.
• Contributes to organizational goals, including PNNL strategic planning and prioritizing research objectives.
• Assists in building strong multidisciplinary R&D teams able to impact the scientific and technological challenges in this area.
• Assists in developing the strategy and manages day-to-day science and technology activities, providing scientific and technical authority, leadership and direction.
• Leads scoping, scheduling, and budgeting of complex interdisciplinary projects and programs. Involved in planning for long-term technical capabilities that deliver national impact.
• Publishes as primary or contributing author on technical publications or reports.
• Participates in national and/or international professional activities and external collaborations.
• Mentors other Laboratory scientists and engineers and is technical resource to other staff members, and assists in attracting top scientist/engineer talents to PNNL.
• Establishes the approach for developing technological applications to meet client needs.
• Bachelor’s degree with at least 7+ years of experience, or a Master’s degree with 5+ years of experience or a PhD with 3+years of experience.
• PhD in engineering or applied sciences with 5 or more years of experience, or a Masters in engineering or applied sciences with 8 or more years of experience. Must have experience in advanced optimization applications in energy/power systems, transportation systems, and/or manufacturing systems.
• Recognized as a technical expert by the peer network. Must possess demonstrated records of scientific contributions to national endeavors in advanced optimization methods and/or engineering research (such as IFAC, IEEE, ACM, ASHRAE), strong leadership competencies, and the ability to build new research programs working collaboratively with others across a broad spectrum of disciplines to accomplish strategic goals.
• Demonstrated experience in selecting and widely applying principles, theories and concepts in a major field of specialization.
• Demonstrated experience in energy system optimization research and applications contributing to multiple projects and leading tasks on major projects with multi-disciplinary teams, with commensurate project management skills in scoping, scheduling, and budgeting.
• Demonstrated innovations in framing solutions to complex problems in the forms of proposals, software, documents or other work products.
• Knowledgeable of current challenges in energy system optimization and related areas.
• Able to articulate complex topics and ideas to a wide range of audiences internally and externally, in terms of the goals, parameters, objectives and outcomes of the research.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Optimization and Control
Opening Date: 2018-02-14
Closing Date: 2018-04-15