Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Senior Grid Cyber Security Engineer in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307510
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Electricity Infrastructure & Buildings
Group: Electricity Infrastructure/Resilience
If you want your legacy to have meaningful impact for the greater good and work in support of an organization that addresses some of today’s most challenging problems that face Our Nation, then you need to join us!
For more than 50 years, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory has advanced the frontiers of science and engineering in the service of our nation and the world in the areas of energy, the environment and national security. With diverse science capabilities and decades of experience in cyber security, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is committed to help address the newest threat to our Nation, Grid and Infrastructure Cyber Attacks. Help us advance this frontier and protect our nation!
PNNL is seeking a recognized cyber security domain thought leader to provide technical leadership and project management for the Laboratory's research portfolio in energy related security, including power systems, petroleum sector or interstate natural gas pipelines and associated control systems. Your primary emphasis will be on cutting edge cyber-security implementations and software for power and energy infrastructure. The research portfolio includes a combination of projects funded by the Department of Energy, Lab Directed Research and Development, and industry partners. This position serves a technical role in solving highly challenging problems with a forward-looking strategy and connecting research to industry needs.
You will have the opportunity to work in partnership with government agencies, academia and industry to perform research and development to deliver "first of a kind" solutions to protect our nation's critical strategic assets. You’ll also be responsible for expanding research programs: writing proposals, building working relationships with partners and sponsors, and publishing and presenting the results of technical activities.
In addition to the roles and responsibilities listed above, this position is also accountable for the following:
• Leading creative innovation and bring senior subject matter expertise to multi-disciplinary teams.
• Developing new funding opportunities working with business development leads resulting in an expanded research program. Accountable for business development consistent with the organization’s strategy.
• Managing individual projects; including directing other staff, ensuring milestones are met, and communicating with clients. Accountable to Project Management Office Directors for expert delivery. Accountable to client with performance of high quality work consistent with the work authorization.
• Leading projects with potential Laboratory or national level impact. These typically are complex, interdisciplinary, and cross multiple organizations. This includes developing and maintaining relationships with outside clients funding the portfolio of work.
• Gaining recognition as a technical leader, broadly applying theory to the development and implementation of new tools including applications, algorithms, models, and visualization.
• Publishing research results, targeting peer reviewed journals.
• Ensuring the quality of products that result from the research performed.
• Respectfully asking the hard questions and constructively criticize at every stage of a project.
• Building strong teams for project execution that transfer knowledge through the organization.
• Mentoring junior – mid level staff.
• Collaborating with senior level staff from other organizations within and outside of PNNL.
• Traveling to execute projects, build relationships, and maintain leadership in the field.
• Ensuring safe operating practices are followed.
• Bachelor’s with 7+ years of experience, Master’s degree with 5+ years of experience, Ph.D. with 3+ years of experience.
• Must have experience developing large-scale research proposals and an extensive professional network within the power systems, oil, or natural gas engineering communities.
• Must have excellent communications skills, the ability to frame and deliver key messages, and a track record of writing and speaking compellingly to diverse audiences.
• Must be recognized for their ability to broadly apply principles, theories and concepts to the development and implementation of new tools including applications, algorithms, models, and visualization techniques.
• M.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering (or a closely related degree and experience) and 5+ years working at the nexus of cyber-security and control systems or cyber-security and energy infrastructure or Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering (or a closely related degree and experience) and 3+ years working at the nexus of cyber-security and control systems or cyber-security and energy infrastructure
• In-depth understanding of cyber-physical security practices for energy infrastructure operations, and secure software development techniques including experience with agent-based modeling and mature methods for software development
• Recognized technical leader with experience in the applications of cyber-security, actively participating in related national and international forums
• Experienced leadership in development, validation, and delivery of commercial-grade software
• Demonstrated success in working in a multi-disciplinary and integrated work environment is required along with the ability to participate in developing and communicating a vision and strategy with the research team. Can be expected to lead projects with potential Lab-level impact. These typically are complex, interdisciplinary, and cross multiple organizations.
• Experience in designing and managing complex communication networks for operational technology systems
• Hands on expertise with cybersecurity, focused on identifying, protecting, detecting, responding and recovering to evolving cyber threats that target operational technology (OT) and/or converged IT/OT systems
• Experience in applying software to OT systems
• Experience with electric utilities, natural gas or petroleum strongly preferred.
This position will remain open until filled.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Electricity Infrastructure
Opening Date: 2018-03-05
Closing Date: 2018-04-16