Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Senior Commercialization Manager - Discovery in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308450
Division: Technology Deployment & Outreach
Works directly with research staff in Energy and Environment Directorate to discover technologies with high commercial potential. Develops strategies to strategies to develop protected intellectual property based on those technologies. Developed complex portfolios of technologies with high commercial potential, especially with TDO’s identified Key Markets and PNNL’s energy-related research Initiatives. Works with research sector managers to align commercialization and research priorities and approaches. Negotiates and closes licensing agreements with partner companies in areas outside Key Markets.
• Responsible for developing, maintaining and sustaining working relationships with PNNL researchers and leadership for the purpose of identifying and/or developing new research programs and their resulting technologies that can serve as the basis for future intellectual property where this sustaining role has a high degree of complexity across the set of PNNL’s scientific disciplines. Responsible for expanding licensing to partners in new and related technologies and market applications and to work extensively with TDO Market commercialization managers to direct technology develop toward market needs, as appropriate.
• Applies own technical knowledge to increase TDO/department performance as gauged by Success Metrics included in TDO’s annual operating plan.
• Guided by PNNL’s functional strategies as well as TDO’s operating plan and internal policies and procedures to achieve broad impact within key Laboratory research sectors. Accountable as the lead for managing commercialization relationships with key Lab-level research programs, including Lab Initiatives. Directly support the achievement of Laboratory Critical Outcomes. Has significant customer scrutiny with potential business impact. Direct impact on Laboratory financial performance.
• Persuades managers, leaders and researchers to take action regarding technical development to improve probability of resulting protected intellectual property. Negotiates with external private-sector partners concerning technology licenses. Engages strategically with PNNL research and sector leaders relevant to Laboratory core capabilities and Key Markets. Represents the Laboratory in licensing discussions and makes commitments to partners.
• Provides leadership of impact of PNNL’s technology through functional influence of research and business areas.
Masters (MS) Degree plus 10 years experience or advanced degree plus 8 years experience
• 3 years experience in energy storage research
• 3 years experience directly working in or with product development and/or marketing of companies in sectors relevant to assigned research and technology areas
• Experience identifying and protecting intellectual property based on federally funded research
• Effectively connect and guide researchers toward commercially-valuable technologies
• Skill in discovering intellectual property from research
• Able to influence technology development within sponsored research programs
• Develops effective technology demonstrations, coordinated with sponsor priorities
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Deputy Dir for S&T
Job Category: Managers
Group: Tech Deployment & Outreach
Opening Date: 2018-10-09
Closing Date: 2018-12-03