Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Post Doctorate RA - Physical Biosciences in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 309726
Directorate: Physical & Computational Sciences
Division: Physical Sciences
Group: Catalysis Science
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a world-class research institution powered by a highly
educated, diverse workforce committed to collaboration and work–life balance. Every year, scores of dynamic,
driven postdocs come to PNNL to work with renowned researchers on meaningful science, innovations and
outcomes for the U.S. Department of Energy and other sponsors; here is your chance to be one of them!
Contribute to PNNL’s goals in computational biophysics/chemistry as part of the Lab’s Physical Sciences
Division (PSD). As a postdoctoral researcher in the Physical Biosciences group, you will join a talented, multiinvestigator
team to explore the functional principles at the core of the precise energy, mass and charge flow,
and reactivity in enzymes. You will be mentored by Simone Raugei, as you develop a line of computational
research, working to understand the mechanism of important enzymes that catalyze activation of energyrelevant
molecules to empower the design of highly selective, efficient, and sustainable bio-inspired catalysts.
The Ideal Candidate
If you are a postdoctoral researcher ready to test your talents and training in computational biophysics or
chemistry and hone your skills at a national laboratory widely recognized for its work in the physical sciences,
we want to connect with you. Details are below; you do not need to meet all of the preferred qualifications to
What you will do:
• Conduct independent research and work on team assignments
• Lead manuscript development and maintain a strong overall publication record in the peer-reviewed
• Interact, communicate, and problem solve with a diverse team of research staff within the Physical
Biosciences group, PSD and across PNNL and numerous academic collaborators
• Present research at technical conferences and project/program review meetings
• Participate in the development of research proposals
PNNL is committed to diversity and inclusion; applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities,
and veterans are strongly encouraged.
Email PNNL Recruiter Fred Bond at Fred.Bond@pnnl.gov for details, or share this opportunity with someone
you know today.
At PNNL, you will find an exciting research environment and excellent benefits including health insurance,
flexible work schedules and telework options. PNNL is located in eastern Washington State—the dry side of
Washington known for its stellar outdoor recreation and affordable cost of living. The Lab’s campus is only a
45-minute flight (or 3 hour drive) from Seattle or Portland, and is serviced by the convenient PSC airport,
connected to 8 major hubs.
Candidates must have received a PhD within the past five years (60 months) or within the next 8 months from an accredited college or university.
• Ph.D. in Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Physics, Biophysics, Biochemistry or related fields
• Training and aptitude in computational chemistry/physics/biophysics methods
Preferred Qualifications (not all need to be met):
• Strong verbal and written communications skills
• Knowledge of computational chemistry methodologies, such as ab initio electronic structure approaches
and/or molecular dynamics.
• Experience with molecular dynamics simulation packages (Gromacs, NAMD, etc.), condensed phase
density functional theory codes (CPMD, Quantum espresso, CP2K, VASP, etc.) and/or quantum chemical
software (Gaussian, NWChem, Games, etc.).
• Programming skills (Fortran, C, C++) and experience with modern high-performance computation platforms
• The ability to adapt, refine, or innovate computational tools as needed.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Physical & Computational Sci's
Job Category: Post-Graduates and Post-Docs
Group: Catalysis Science
Opening Date: 2019-08-22
Closing Date: 2019-09-20