Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Post Doctorate RA - Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy of Nuclear Materials in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308462
Directorate: Physical & Computational Sciences
Division: Physical Sciences
Group: Catalysis Science / Physical Biosciences
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is a world-class research institution powered by a highly educated, diverse workforce committed to collaboration and work–life balance. Every year, scores of dynamic, driven postdocs come to PNNL to work with renowned researchers on meaningful science, innovations and outcomes for the U.S. Department of Energy and other sponsors; here is your chance to be one of them!
As a postdoctoral researcher on the Heavy Element Chemistry project in PNNL’s Physical Sciences Division (PSD), you will join an experienced, multi-investigator team to explore the structure and bonding in solids containing actinide elements. You will be guided by prominent researchers, including Herman Cho, in work involving advanced spectroscopic measurements, including nuclear magnetic resonance and nuclear quadrupole resonance, of heavy element systems and interpretation of data in terms of sophisticated theoretical models. Candidates will closely interact with a diverse group of collaborators in the preparation and synthesis of samples and the development of theoretical explanations of experimental observations. The effort will address mission goals for the Heavy Element Chemistry Program of the U.S. DOE Office of Basic Energy Sciences.
The Ideal Candidate
If you are a postdoctoral researcher ready to test your talents and training in solid state NMR spectroscopy and hone your skills at a national laboratory widely recognized for its work in the physical sciences, we want to connect with you. Details are below; you do not need to meet all of the preferred qualifications to be considered.
What you will do:
• Conduct independent research and work on team assignments
• Lead manuscript development and maintain a strong overall publication record in the peer-reviewed scientific literature
• Interact, communicate, and problem solve with a diverse team of research staff in the Physical Science Division and across PNNL
• Present research at technical conferences and project/program review meetings
• Participate in the development of research proposals
PNNL is committed to diversity and inclusion; applications from women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are strongly encouraged.
Email PNNL Recruiter Fred Bond at Fred.Bond@pnnl.gov for details, or share this opportunity with someone you know today.
At PNNL, you will find an exciting research environment and excellent benefits including health insurance, flexible work schedules and telework options. PNNL is located in eastern Washington State—the dry side of Washington known for its superlative outdoor recreation and affordable cost of living. The Lab’s campus is only a 45-minute flight (or 3 hour drive) from Seattle or Portland, and is serviced by the convenient PSC airport, connected to 8 major hubs.
Candidates must have received a PhD within the past five years (60 months) or within the next 8 months from an accredited college or university.
• Ph.D. in Chemistry, Solid State Physics, Materials Sciences or related field
• Training in solid-state NMR spectroscopy
Preferred Qualifications (not all need to be met):
• Experience operating NMR instruments for solid-state samples
• Ability to design, engineer, and construct basic radiofrequency circuitry
• Basic computer programming skills
• Knowledge interpreting and simulating NMR and NQR spectroscopic data
• Working familiarity with cryogenic experimental methods
• Willingness to work in a cooperative, collaborative environment
• Independent and self-motivated
• Commitment to performing laboratory work safely and conscientiously
• Proficiency in written and verbal communication
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Physical & Computational Sci's
Job Category: Post-Graduates and Post-Docs
Group: Catalysis Science
Opening Date: 2019-06-06
Closing Date: 2019-06-20