Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Post Doc Research Associate - Nuclear Monitoring in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308576
Directorate: Energy and Environment
Division: Earth System Science
Group: Subsurface Science & Technology
The Geophysics & Geomechanics Team within the Subsurface Science & Technology Group at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) seeks a postdoctoral researcher with experience in modeling coupled multi-fluid subsurface hydrologic, thermal, geochemical, and geomechanical processes to join us in our research in earth science, environmental science, energy development and national security. In particular, we are looking for an individual who can contribute to one or more areas of nuclear monitoring research:
• Development and application of conceptual-mathematical models for subsurface flow and reactive transport following underground nuclear explosions.
• Experiments of gas and debris transport through fractured porous media.
• Studies of dynamic noble gas background evolution in various geologies.
• Building integrated signature simulation capabilities tying nuclear source models with dynamic subsurface flow and reactive transport models to support nuclear explosion monitoring studies.
Candidates must have received a PhD within the past five years (60 months) or within the next 8 months from an accredited college or university.
MUST BE A U.S. CITIZEN
Ideal candidates will have experience in areas of geology, hydrology, geomechanics, or geophysics. Demonstrated experience in one or more of the following is preferred:
• Analysis of subsurface characterization and monitoring data.
• Multi-fluid flow and reactive transport modeling.
• Rock mechanics modeling.
• Environmental remediation.
• Experimentation related to soil, pore-scale and fractured rock physics.
Desirable qualifications include:
• Additional familiarity in areas of geochemistry, nuclear chemistry, or nuclear physics.
• Programming (e.g., proficiency in Python, R, Fortran, C++).
• Visualization (e.g., with Tecplot, Visit).
• High performance computing.
• Gas systems.
• Rock core holder experiments.
• Inverse parameter estimation.
• Sensitivity and uncertainty analysis.
3.5 GPA or higher is preferred
Ph.D. in Hydrology, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Petroleum Engineering, Geophysics, Soil Physics; will also consider candidates possessing Ph.D. in other engineering disciplines, or related field with demonstrated experience in subsurface flow and reactive transport.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Post-Graduates and Post-Docs
Group: Subsurface Sci & Technology
Opening Date: 2019-01-10
Closing Date: 2019-02-09