Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Mechanical Engineer in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307479
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Energy Processes & Materials
Group: Applied Materials & Performance
The Applied Materials & Performance group at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is seeking a mechanical engineer who has a strong skill set in metallurgy or material science to contribute to the development and application of high performance materials and innovative processing approaches. This position will support business lines associated with next generation lightweight vehicles, nuclear systems, and other markets where improvements in materials performance and energy efficiency are of interest to the Department of Energy and other clients. The position holder will:
• Apply principles of engineering, physics, and materials science as well as an understanding of core areas including mechanics, kinematics, thermodynamics, structural analysis, metallurgy, and electricity to design and analyze high performance materials and processing approaches suitable for industrial manufacture.
• Research, plan, design, and develop mechanical products and systems such as instruments, controls, robots, engines, machines, and mechanical, thermal hydraulic, or heat transfer systems.
• Collaborate with highly diverse research staff in the following technical areas:
o Development and characterization of high strength lightweight materials for vehicles,
o Understanding and characterization of the microstructure and behavior of materials under specified operating conditions and external factors,
o Advanced forming, joining and manufacturing processes for metals and polymer composites,
o Topics in mechanical metallurgy and applied mechanics, including design of experiments and application for materials development.
Applicants must have a strong sense of physical and/or mechanical metallurgy, with the ability to assess and use analytical results for designing and conducting experiments. The position will require interaction on a daily basis with project managers and other scientists and engineers with a diversity of backgrounds. The successful candidate will have the opportunity (and desire) to work on projects solving problems in a large variety of areas including energy efficiency, transportation, and high temperature materials. In addition, the selected candidate will be expected to propose original ideas and technical suggestions to senior project research staff and project managers to solve science and engineering problems. Applicants must be able to complete assigned tasks with limited guidance, exercising appropriate judgement on work details and making preliminary selections and adaptations of technical alternatives. The position holder is expected to build a professional reputation for technical expertise, which includes publishing work and contributing to journal articles and presentations.
• BS/BA with 2 years of experience, or MS/MA with 0 years of experience, or PhD with 0 years of experience.
• PhD in mechanical engineering, materials science, metallurgy or related field with 2-3 years of industrial or research laboratory experience
• Experience in designing and executing experimental projects in friction stir welding, extrusion, rolling or other forms of thermo-mechanical processing for metallic alloy systems.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment:
• The staff member will work in research laboratories, which are inherently hazardous working environments. Exposure to mechanical hazards, chemicals, etc., are kept to a minimum and mitigated through the use of controls and the maintenance of a safety-conscious work environment.Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Materials Processing
Opening Date: 2018-02-23
Closing Date: 2018-03-25