Pacific Northwest National Laboratory HR Talent Management Leader in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307517
Directorate: Human Resources
Division: Talent Management
At the U.S. Department of Energy's Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL), we're saving the world with one scientific discovery after another - Discoveries that are not only changing the way people think, they are also making the environment cleaner, increasing our nation's energy capacity, and making the world a safer place. We are a world-class research institution employing nearly 4,500 staff with an annual operating budget of approximately $1billion and a team of 60 HR talented professionals. We are powered by a highly educated, diverse workforce committed to collaboration and work/life integration. Dynamic, adaptable people come to PNNL to work smarter and work together on high-impact projects and initiatives for the U.S. Department of Energy and many other sponsors. PNNL staff members focus on meaningful work, innovation, and impactful outcomes. At PNNL, you’ll find a positive, fast-paced environment and excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, flexible work schedules, and telework options. PNNL is located in eastern Washington State, known for its outdoor recreation, thriving wine industry, and affordable cost of living.
You are a talented Senior Human Resources Leader who has proven yourself in a scientific, technical, research or government contractor corporate environment. You have creativity, passion for innovation, and thrive in a fast paced environment. Reporting to the HR Director, in this newly created role you’ll be responsible for designing and overseeing the implementation of the Lab’s talent management strategy through the full employee life cycle. This includes workforce planning, talent acquisition, student pipeline program management, leadership development, organizational design, performance management, succession planning and employee engagement. You, in collaboration with your team, will create of a set of solutions and experiences that will increase employee capabilities and enable our managers to lead effectively, create diverse and inclusive teams, develop their people, and deliver outstanding results. Your direct reports will consist of 3 managers (Recruiting, Leadership & Staff Development and Work-Based Learning (student) Programs) and the extended team has 15 HR professionals.
Your responsibilities will include
• Leading the development and execution of the Lab’s talent strategy that is strongly tied to the Laboratory Strategy including workforce planning, succession, individual, team, and key talent/high-potential development, and performance management to address current and future business needs.
• Overseeing the Integration of the Lab’s internship, research associate and university recruitment strategy with the overall workforce plan.
• Leading executive assessment and development processes, including executive coaching and learning programs through PNNL University and providing oversight of the talent management initiatives for top executive and senior leaders at PNNL ensuring development and succession plans are in place for each as appropriate.
• Leading organizational effectiveness initiatives in the areas of strategy, organizational assessment, some change management, team development and employee engagement initiatives.
• In partnership with the Lab Leadership and HR Leadership Team, engaging and connecting management and employees with the Lab’s Talent Management program.
• Building the capability of our HR team and laboratory leaders to assess current talent and future talent needs. Designing & driving a comprehensive talent assessment approach & framework for our businesses and HR teams to leverage to assess talent and define talent pipelines (line managers, key technical research leaders, and executives etc.).
• Serving as an internal Subject Matter Expert regarding talent management best practices as well as current trends and innovative new tools / methods.
Qualifications/Key Skills & Experience
• Trusted Advisor who can provide advice across multiple areas of expertise and is able to influence strategic and operational decisions.
• Strong business acumen and proven ability to leverage different perspectives to implement inclusive solutions that consider the full range of business impacts across different stakeholder groups.
• Staying informed of talent strategies that drive customer focused solutions.
• Possessing a learning mindset - taking risks, learning quickly and adapting to develop improved approaches.
• Leveraging Systems Thinking to ensure we are taking a holistic approach to capability building.
This position will remain open until filled.
• Bachelor’s degree plus 8+ years relevant experience; or Master’s degree plus 6+ years of relevant experience. Preferred degree fields in Organizational Effectiveness, Human Resource Management, Psychology, Business, Communications or related field. Master’s degree preferred.
• 6-10+ years of experience in multiple domains within Talent Management function performance management, talent review/succession planning, career development, mobility, “HIPO” assessment development, strategic talent planning, team building, change management, organization development and design, strategic workforce planning, leadership assessment, and diversity and inclusion.
• Management experience should include, initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing processes.
• Experience and/or significant exposure in the following areas: leadership development, leadership assessment, team facilitation, change management, performance management, coaching executives, talent review and diversity.
• Excellent large and small group facilitation skills.
• Effective project management skills.
• Demonstrated customer service and collaboration at all levels of the organization.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Experience in an organization with at least 3,000 people.
• Experience managing teams of 10 or more professionals is preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Human Resources
Job Category: HR/Legal/Communications
Group: Human Resources
Opening Date: 2018-03-07
Closing Date: 2018-08-04