Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Hazardous Materials & Waste Professional: Field Services Representative in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308154
Directorate: Operational Systems Directorate (OSD)
Division: Shared Services & Operations
Group: Materials & Waste Management
– The overall objective of this position is to support efficient and compliant lifecycle management of hazardous materials (i.e., planning, procurement, inventory management, use and final disposition). The scope includes chemicals, radioactive material, biological material, samples, and related materials.
– This position will be deployed to research directorates or specific research projects to provide direct support to research staff in management of hazardous materials and waste.
– This position supports laboratory systems for lifecycle management of materials and waste. Staff in this position will have primary responsibility for design, implementation and maintenance of laboratory systems and process related to management of hazardous materials (e.g., laboratory-level procedures, inventory tracking databases, procurement processes).
– This position is responsible for providing oversight to ensure facility and project compliance with statutes, regulations, and policies.
– Senior and/or principle staff holding this position may serve as a Task Manager in a specific functional area (e.g., field lead, transportation SME, hazardous waste SME), providing technical leadership to maintain Laboratory program and implementation compliance.
– The individual must work closely with the subject matter experts, management system owners, research staff and line managers while developing and implementing operational and technical programs under the scope of the materials and specimens lifecycle. Must be self-motivated, self-directed and recognized as a technical expert.
– Proven written and verbal communication skills are required. The incumbent must possess good negotiation skills, and must be able to effectively communicate with a variety of levels of staff and external DOE clients. The incumbent must also have experience in preparing technical procedures, reports, issue papers, assessments, and correspondence for internal and external DOE clients.
– The incumbent must be well rounded and have a breadth and depth of knowledge and experience in Hazardous materials and waste management. Preferred areas of expertise include: environmental compliance, chemical and radioactive material hazards, hazardous materials transportation, hazardous material emergency response, hazardous materials designation and management, and inventory management.
– Bachelor's degree and 10+ years of relevant experience. Advanced degree and 8+ years of relevant experience. Professional license and/or certification may be preferred.
– This position is a Department of Energy Testing Designated Position.
– Ability to obtain Radiological Worker II qualifications.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment:
– Will require hands-on work with chemicals, radioactive materials, samples, biological materials, and nanomaterials.
– Donning various protective clothing and equipment including chemical and radiological protective clothing and respiratory protection will be required.
Directorate: Operational Systems
Job Category: Environmental/Safety/Health/Quality
Group: Materials & Waste Management
Opening Date: 2018-08-10
Closing Date: 2018-12-30