Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Group Leader for Emerging Technology in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 309359
Directorate: National Security Directorate
Division: Signature Science & Technology
Group: Disruptive Technologies
If you want your legacy to have meaningful impact on national security and work in support of an organization that addresses today’s most challenging problems facing our Nation, then come and join us! Pacific Northwest National Laboratory advances the frontiers of science and engineering. Right now, our national security mission faces a challenge: technologies on the horizon will fundamentally change the nature of great power competition. The Signature Science and Technology Division’s mission is to discover the science, develop the technology, and drive operations to neutralize emerging national security threats. We seek a leader who can foresee technology development that links our science to the national security mission.
This leader will manage a group of some of the best and brightest minds at PNNL and a remarkably motivated staff. They will develop a vision of those technologies that will change the national security landscape and define areas where PNNL should develop a leadership position. The primary charge to this group will be the integration of technology across domains such as electromagnetics to systems engineering to materials science. This group will become a flywheel for integrating technology into capabilities across the division focused on radiation detection, radiochemistry, additive manufacturing, biochemistry, and others.
Innovation is part of our strategy, and this group is a contribution to that strategy. All of our groups innovate on a daily basis. This group will catalyze innovation across a wide breadth of our capabilities and set a new and higher bar for intra-organizational collaboration and cooperation. We need a leader who can rally their staff to this cause.
Success will be characterized by…
• in partnership with the Division Director, development of a vision and an actionable strategy that identifies key technologies and how the division will master them
• robust recruiting, retention, and development of future technical leaders in key technical areas
• elevation of the role as an agile organization with both knowledge of the national security mission and how it is changing
• stronger ties between fundamental science capabilities and national security missions
• development of technologies that bridge between science and mission
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
• As a technical group manager, you will supervise approximately 50 staff members consisting of engineers, scientists, advisors, and support staff. You will focus on staff and career development of the next-generation of leaders as well as the recruiting of high-caliber technical talent. Recruiting will be an important part of your job.
• As a technical leader, you will support business development including interactions with sponsors, mentoring staff to build programs, and landing new programs. You will advise and influence the National Security Directorate and the Lab as it invests internal resources to position for the future.
• As a member of the Signature Science and Technology Division leadership team, you will help birth, shape, and guide our strategy that defines the future of our 400-person organization. You will partner with six other technical groups to develop integrated capabilities across technical domains that meet national security challenges—specifically those on a five-year time horizon.
• Bachelor's Degree plus 8 years of experience; or Advanced Degree plus 6 years of experience
• Advanced degree in science or engineering plus 15 years of relevant experience
• Technical and strategic skills to create the vision for internal investments
• Extensive knowledge of current and future innovative technology
• Name recognition within the relevant technical community
• Lead the development of external partnerships
• Hands-on experience with technology development in domains such as electromagnetics to systems engineering to materials science
• Demonstrated commitment to safe and secure operations
• Demonstrated ability to partner with business developers to grow programs
• Strong verbal and written communications skills and the ability to communicate effectively, especially with technology experts
• Strong interpersonal skills with ability to lead and motivate cross-functional interdisciplinary teams for tactical and strategic goals
• Ability to lead working groups and collaborate across organizational boundaries
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Managers
Group: Signatures Sci & Technol Div
Opening Date: 2019-05-17
Closing Date: 2019-06-27