Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Division Administrator, Energy Processes & Materials in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307511
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Energy Processes & Materials
The Energy Processes & Materials Group at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is seeking a Division Administrator. With minimal direction and a high degree of initiative and confidence, the Division Administrator provides senior level administrative support to the Director and Deputy Director of the Energy Processes & Materials Division, which is comprised of over 200 staff and four technical groups within EED. This position serves as the administrative focal point for the Division, dealing with the full range of business and administrative issues. The incumbent regularly interfaces with the Division administrative team, Division technical group managers, Division direct reports and Division staff regarding day-to-day business interactions.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
The Division Administrator will use his/her advanced knowledge of administrative functions and Laboratory policy and procedures to support the Division Director and Deputy Director; and to assure the distribution of administrative work across the Division, effectively applying procedures, and independently making decisions and authorizing actions on administrative items. Incumbent applies discretion and good judgment; positively interacts with a wide-variety of PNNL staff and clients of all levels; demonstrates capabilities as an effective team builder; resolves and/or advises management on a wide range of administrative issues using a working knowledge of PNNL policy and procedures; and communicates organizational policies and procedures to others when necessary. The incumbent interacts frequently with the EED administrative leadership team and works closely with the EED COO and ALD administrators, Division management team, Human Resources, line managers, and administrative peers, as well as various clients and visitors. The incumbent is required to respond with flexibility to shifting priorities, short deadlines, and rapid change. Duties often require creative thinking, exercise of good judgment, and awareness of sensitivities.
Job duties may include, but are not limited to:
• Maintains and monitors calendars, email and communications for the Division Director and Deputy Division Director. Attends and documents Division management meetings, and tracks related action items. Prioritizes events, actions and commitments. Arranges travel, seminars, interviews, and workshops. Arranges meetings, sets agendas, and schedules participants. Drafts memos and documents as required for the Division Director and Deputy Division Director. Collects and maintains data relevant to annual Division performance metrics. Liaisons with Division leadership and the Communications Team as needed to support development and maintenance of Division communication materials (all-staff Division meetings, newsletters, websites, fact sheets, posters, etc).
• Responds to a variety of inquiries from both internal and external sources, on behalf of the Division Director and the Deputy Division Director. Independently handles routine-to-complex business issues of an administrative and sometimes ambiguous nature; demonstrates sound judgment and follow-through with attention to detail.
• Maximizes administrative resources within the Division to avoid over/under staffing issues. Interacts with Technical Group Managers on staffing needs. Ensures that administrative processes and requirements are being adhered to within the Division. Arranges administrative coverage during absences and leaves, and manages collaboration among Division administrative staff to meet peaks and valleys in work load.
• Uses discretion in processing sensitive or confidential information; independently make decisions; positively interacts with a wide-variety of PNNL staff and external clients of all levels; resolves and/or advises management on a wide range of administrative issues; and provides training and guidance to less senior or new staff when necessary.
• Identifies and recommends training and team-building opportunities for the Division administrative team; identifies, and participates in the development and implementation of, new office processes and procedures.
• High School Diploma and 5-8 years of experience in an administrative environment, or combination of education and experience. Experience supporting at a Director or Executive level manager strongly preferred.
• Experience with functioning in a high-paced environment.
• Experience in planning meetings, coordinating travel and formatting presentations.
• Ability to make sound decisions.
• Extensive knowledge of Battelle, PNNL, and DOE policies and procedures, and organizational structure is preferred.
• Preferred extensive working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Skype, and video conferencing applications.
• Knowledge of PNNL Organizational structure, and working understanding of Lab policies and procedures, Information Release, interview and recruiting facilitation, Onboarding, P-Card purchasing, and IOPS is preferred.
• Familiarity with PNNL university programs, badging policy and security requirements for foreign nationals, PACQ, PNNL Travel policies, Records Management, and general awareness of Accounting and Finance programs is strongly desired.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment:
• This position requires extended periods of working at a computer workstation and the ability to occasionally lift 15-20 lbs.Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Administration/Specialist/Support
Group: Energy Processes & Materials
Opening Date: 2018-03-05
Closing Date: 2018-03-19