Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Director, Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307155
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory
Reporting to the Earth and Biological Sciences Directorate (EBSD) Associate Laboratory Director (ALD), the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL) Director will be a key member of PNNL’s and the EBSD’s scientific leadership. The EMSL Director will provide strategic scientific leadership to EMSL’s user program, whose mission is to lead molecular-level discoveries for the Office of Biological and Environmental Research (BER) and DOE that translate to predictive understanding and accelerated solutions for national energy and environmental challenges.
The EMSL Director is responsible for developing and implementing a vision and strategy that pioneers molecular science discoveries and effectively mobilizes the scientific community to provide the foundations for BER research priorities and our nation’s critical biological, environmental, and energy challenges. Essential to this role is the close collaboration and coordination with the leadership of EBSD’s other research divisions, other PNNL organizations and with the broader scientific user community. The Director acts as a spokesperson for the User Program in interactions with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) and other government agencies. The EMSL Director has accountability for User Program budgets, funding, workforce planning, human resource management, environmental health and safety, property and facilities management.
This position is responsible for managing the Environmental Molecular Sciences Division with the objective of achieving the highest scientific and engineering quality and impact through productivity of our programs, hiring and developing staff, and safe and effective operations, within established budgets and operating metrics. Additionally, the Director promotes and ensures the quality of research in the Division, enhances existing research programs and guides the development of new programs. The EMSL Director oversees and provides strategic direction to the research groups within EMSL and functions as supervisor to members of the EMSL leadership team. While the EMSL Director has primary line authority over the EMSL organization, daily line management activities are primarily the responsibility of the Associate Director.
Bachelor’s Degree with 20 plus years of experience; or Advanced Degree plus 18 years of experience
• PhD in biology, chemistry or relevant field, plus 13 years of experience. Demonstrated capability in line management and program management functions.
• Recognized national and international reputation and record of accomplishment in a scientific and/or engineering field.
• Must be skilled in articulating and communicating a strategic vision, managing others, developing, motivating and empowering staff. They must be able to create a positive learning environment in which all staff can excel. They must have the ability to encourage and support teamwork and positively motivate the members of the technical groups. They must be good communicators, fostering the flow of information in all directions in the organization. They need good listening skills and the ability to build effective relationships vertically and horizontally.
• Ability to develop and execute plans; ability to modify plans to respond to changing conditions.
• Ability to position capability by creating and communicating a clear vision and purpose.
• Recognized national and international reputation in a scientific and/or engineering field.
• Ability to interact at the highest level of management, both internally and externally, in a constructive and collaborative manner and in way that appropriately represents the Laboratory.
• Ability to interact effectively with funding agencies such as the Department of Energy.
• Expertise in strategic planning, developing research projects and research funding, managing budgets and completing projects on time.
• Demonstrated technical knowledge and research experience with environmental and biological sciences.
• Strong interpersonal, written and oral communication skills.
• Knowledge of the relevant research sponsors.
• Familiarity with ES&H safety criteria for safe operation of laboratories, in compliance with lab, state, and federal regulations is required. Field deployments are a major activity in this division, and the successful candidate will be expected to have or gain experience in overseeing such activities, as they hold accountability for safe operations.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Job Category: Managers
Group: Earth & Biological Sciences
Opening Date: 2018-06-19
Closing Date: 2018-10-30