Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Design Engineer (Architect) in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 307712
Directorate: Operational Systems Directorate (OSD)
Division: Facilities and Operations
The selected candidate will provide leadership for architectural work including facility projects and in support of research requests. This position will develop studies, reports, specifications, estimates, designs, contract documents, and conduct field inspections. As a Senior Design Architect, the successful candidate will lead teams of other architects, engineers, designers, and/or outside A/E personnel.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
– Accomplishes technically complex activities and projects.
– Recognized as an architectural leader with an established technical expertise, serves as a resource to F&O and the Lab.
– Routinely functions as a lead project Architect, coordinating the activities of other project staff.
– Works independently, has increasing responsibility, no oversight required.
– Improves organizational efficiency through process improvements.
Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering or Architecture and 10+ Years of relevant experience or Advanced Degree and 8+ years of relevant experience PE/RA required.
Candidates must have proven experience providing architectural expertise across a wide variety of areas, such as: programming, building materials and finishes, roofing and envelope design, interior design and systems furniture layout, laboratory planning, and preparation of construction contract documents. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated with excellent written/oral communication skills and proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite. Experience in each of the following areas is desired:
– Bachelor’s degree in Architecture from an NAAB accredited program
– 10-15+ years of experience (8+ years with an advanced degree)
– Registered Architect in the State of Washington (or NCARB certified)
– Demonstrable ability to work independently
– Experience leading technically complex multi-discipline projects
– Experience functioning as the project lead, coordinating the activities of other staff
– Experience providing direction to junior staff, designers, and drafters
– AutoCAD or REVIT design and drafting skills
– Six or more years of design experience with a commercial/institutional architectural firm or A/E design firm preparing construction contract documents
– Three years of experience in laboratory planning
– Experience with institutional research laboratory facility layout and design
– Sketch-up and/or rendering program skills
– Successfully interface with clients, vendors, construction, and craft personnel
– LEED Accredited Professional (or equivalent)
– Enhanced Commissioning Experience and Accreditation
– Strong design and graphic skills; ability to communicate ideas to others graphically
– High level of technical expertise with the full range of building envelope, structural and MEP systems
– Architectural experience at PNNL
– Expertise in applying the IBC and NFPA 101 along with familiarity with NFPA 45
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Typical architectural staff working condition expectations including construction site observation and facility surveys.
Directorate: Operational Systems
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Opening Date: 2018-05-11
Closing Date: 2018-08-19