Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Chief Scientist in Computational Biology in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308077
Directorate: Earth and Biological Sciences
Division: Biological Sciences
• The Biological Sciences Division at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is seeking a Chief Research Scientist in Computational Biology. The candidate will be expected to lead interdisciplinary research programs focused on the predictive understanding of complex biological systems through data-model integration. The incumbent should have extensive expertise in bioinformatics, machine learning and modeling approaches for analysis and integration of ‘omics measurements, dynamic imaging technologies, and experimental approaches to enable the prediction of biosystem phenotype, response to perturbations, and molecular interventions that modify function. The candidate will also participate in strategic planning of new programs, internal investments in capability development, and regional/national partnerships.
• The candidate’s research focus should include primary Department of Energy mission areas of bioenergy and environmental sustainability, National Institute of Health mission to diagnose and treat disease, or Security mission to increase the nation’s preparedness against biological threats and emerging infectious diseases. Strategies that emphasize an integrative understanding of molecular systems, microbial systems and human systems in response to perturbation or environmental change are highly desirable.
• The successful candidate will collaborate with domain experts in environmental microbiology, biochemistry, exposure science, cancer, and infectious disease to build and lead research teams utilizing core Laboratory capabilities. The candidate will also serve as a role model and develop organizational strategies for new capability investments and growth of research portfolios. This position includes access to extensive molecular research capabilities at PNNL, including world-class multi-omics measurement capability, advanced high resolution imaging technologies, data science, high performance computing, and computational modeling. Strong communication and writing skills as well as excellent teaming relationships across disciplines are required.
• Education & Experience: BS 9+ years’ experience, MS 7+ years’ experience, PhD 5+ years’ experience
• Technical Leadership: National or international authority. Establishing new approaches at a national level and advancing state of the art concepts. Leads in the capture, planning, and technical execution of complex interdisciplinary projects and programs.
• Level of Responsibility: Conceives, plans and executes R&D with considerable influence on scientific and technological developments. Displays considerable leadership in defining scientific and technical objectives across programs. Captures and enables sufficient funding to support self and project teams.
• Education/Experience: PhD in an area of biochemistry or engineering field with at least 15 years’ experience. Demonstrated ability to attract and carry out R&D programs as evidenced by funding and publication record. The successful candidate will be nationally recognized as a technical and scientific authority and leader in his/her field.
• Technical Leadership: National or international authority with evidenced visibility in the research community. Establishing new approaches at a national level and advancing state of the art concepts. Leads in the capture, planning, and technical execution of complex interdisciplinary projects and programs.
• Level of Responsibility: Conceives, plans and executes R&D with considerable influence on scientific and technological developments. Displays considerable leadership in defining scientific and technical objectives across programs. Captures and enables sufficient funding to support self and project teams. The candidate will also be expected to mentor staff in the development of proposals for externally funded projects, and engage in client interactions to build research portfolios.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Job Category: Scientists/Scientific Support
Group: Biological Sciences Division
Opening Date: 2018-07-06
Closing Date: 2018-10-01