Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Chief Operating Officer in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 308408
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences Directorate & Physical & Computational Sciences Directorate
This position provides overall leadership for the operational stewardship and programmatic execution functions within the Physical and Computational and Earth and Biological Sciences Directorates (PCSD and EBSD respectively). This position and the Chief Science & Technology Officer (CSTO) position also fill a critical deputy-ALD role to act for and represent the ALD across the full range of ALD responsibilities. This position has a critical role and is responsible for the operational success of PCSD and EBSD as measured against a range of metrics including Performance Evaluation and Measurement Plan (PEMP) evaluation, ES&H, space management metrics.
Strategic: This position fully participates and drives strategy development within EBSD and PSCD and is a full member of the both organizations leadership teams. All aspects of strategy execution that involve programmatic execution or operational stewardship are the responsibility of this position. This position must fully collaborate with the sector managers and Division Directors to ensure that PCSD and EBSD has access to appropriate capabilities so as to enable successful business capture. This position must also collaborate with the CSTO to ensure that our internal investments result in are appropriately stewarded operationally to enable execution of strategy.
Operational: This position is a leading member of the laboratories’ Research Operations Council (ROC) and directly supervises the EBSD and PCSD operations managers. As such, this position is the key position within the directorates for supporting and driving laboratory-level change in our operational practices and systems. This position is responsible for the operational excellence (safety, security, etc.) for all 1000+ staff in PCSD/EBSD and all of our high-risk operations up to and including flight and field operations, high security operations, biosafety operations, etc. This position will interface with the DOE site office (PNSO) in the normal execution of their responsibilities.
- Numerous high-risk laboratories including secure, radiological, biological, and chemical facilities
Customer: This position should be able to represent the Directorate’s programs, operations, and capabilities to any internal or external customer or other stakeholder.
People: This position is responsible for building an effective team within the directorate and thus this position must foster a work environment that is conducive to safety, teaming within the directorates and across the laboratory. This position must ensure that PCSD/EBSD’s diversity culture and practices are effective.
-Direct reports include 2 PMO directors, 2 operations managers and 3 specialists
Nature and Scope: This position effectively leads the directorates with respect to internal functions such as programmatic execution and operational stewardship. As such, this position is a critical part of the strategic success of the directorate. This is intended to be one of the succession planning positions for the position of Research and Operational ALDs. This position also has an important role in working to ensure strong operations both within the directorate and across the laboratory as a whole.
To the PCSD and EBSD ALDs
• Development of future leadership talent
• Achieving diversity goals and establishing a strong diversity culture
• Operational excellence
• Full participation in the directorates’ strategy development process
• Represent the PCSD and EBSD ALDs fully and effectively in Executive Committee meetings, external interactions, and any other venue when EBSD and/or PCSD ALD participation is precluded.
To the Sectors
• Successful programmatic execution that strengthens customer relationships
• Development of business capture capability as needed to achieve sales targets.
To the Deputy Laboratory Director for Operations
• PCSD/EBSD’s operational excellence
• Support and drive appropriate operational practices across the laboratory
To the PCSD/EBSD’s CSTOs
• Development of operational support to our investment portfolio and strategic execution.
Bachelor’s Degree with 15 plus years of experience; or Advanced Degree plus 13 years of experience
• A Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate field of science or engineering is required. An advanced degree, in particular a Masters or Doctoral degree, is preferred.
• This position requires at least 15 years of increasingly responsible leadership and operational experience with preference given to candidates that have successfully led relatively large, complex research organizations.
• Holds appropriate security clearances or ability to obtain
• Understanding of the DOE and associated agencies
• Ability to manage a broad range of individuals, many of whom are experts in their fields and individualistic in approach
• Ability to achieve results
• Strategic and conceptual thinking skills and creativity in approach
• Independence and ability to persevere under adverse conditions to achieve outcomes
• Team- and self-development orientation
• Influencing skills, both internal and external
• Financial acumen
• Well-developed leadership talent
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Job Category: Managers
Group: Earth & Biological Sciences
Opening Date: 2018-11-28
Closing Date: 2019-02-01