Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Advisor, Applied Software Solutions in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 309420
Directorate: National Security Directorate
Division: Computing & Analytics
Group: Software Engineering & Architectures
The Advisor, Advanced Mission Driven Software Engineering is an innovation leader in PNNL’s rapidly growing Mission Deployed Solutions portfolio. You combine extensive experience in software engineering (such as cloud engineering, data pipelines, and full-stack solutions) with expertise in one or more application domains (such as critical infrastructure) to envision and implement mission-relevant solutions to complex problems, often where few precedents exist. Your goal is to transform PNNL’s national security impact through advanced sotware engineering, establishing yourself as a thought leader guiding the creation and implementation of novel data-driven approaches to critical challenges in nuclear, biological, and/or cyber security.
You will serve as a strategic liaison across PNNL’s diverse technical teams, relying on your creativity, vision, and influence to develop integrative analytics capabilities at the intersection of multiple disciplines. You will lead or contribute to key project activities and will be sought after within the Laboratory to set technical direction and to represent PNNL in engagements with senior leaders across the Laboratory complex, with Government stakeholders, and with the private sector. You will identify new challenges, perform assessment of alternatives, and establish concurrence on recommended solutions; your decisions will guide programmatic directions inside and outside the Laboratory. You will identify and lead multi-institution partnerships and inform sponsor strategies, demonstrating national-level influence in framing solutions to critical security challenges.
You are responsible for ensuring that PNNL’s capabilities are aligned with national and global trends and you select methods and techniques to develop new solutions for PNNL sponsor organizations. You will create and maintain relationships with senior sponsors to identify future business opportunities, devising and conducting business development activities across the breadth of PNNL’s sponsor set in NNSA, DOD, DHS, and Special Programs organizations.
You are extremely self-directed and will function independently with high level guidance. You are proactive about seeking out new opportunities and opening new doors, including seeking out and cultivating potential partnerships in areas where PNNL’s research and development can be introduced. You will mentor other staff in technical sponsor interactions and will facilitate collaboration between PNNL teams and sponsor representatives.
You will report to the Software Engineering Technical Group Manager and have accountability to program managers and sector managers across the National Security Directorate, helping to establish and execute technical, business development, and program execution strategies.
Success in this position requires:
• Critical thinking and strong analytical and problem-solving skills.¿
• Commitment to continuous learning, professional development, and new ways of thinking.
• Ability to quickly understand key concepts in new domains and to communicate effectively with technical staff, laboratory leaders, and sponsors, including an ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
• Strong organizational skills to prioritize multiple competing demands under pressure.
• Leading publications, reports, briefings, and other external engagements.
• Providing guidance on technical approaches and sponsor engagement strategies, and identifying and mitigating political sensitivities.
• Acting as an advisor to technical staff to help teams meet delivery schedules and resolve problems.
• Maintaining effective and collegial working relations with Laboratory staff and sponsor officials at all levels.
Bachelor's degree plus 10 or more years of relevant experience, Master's degree plus 6 or more years of experience, or PhD plus 3 or more years of experience.
• A demonstrated record of innovation and experience in leading applied research or operational programs.
• Ability to identify and interact with funding sponsors, prepare program proposals, and help generate future R&D or mission application directions.
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to work within and lead interdisciplinary teams, and experience in a variety of sponsor mission settings.
• Reputation for integrity and trust.
• PhD in computer science, mathematics, statistics, or a related field.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Administration/Specialist/Support
Group: Software Eng & Architectures
Opening Date: 2019-05-28
Closing Date: 2019-06-27