Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Administrator in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 309761
Directorate: National Security Directorate
Division: Signatures Science & Technology
This position provides direct administrative support to the Director of the Signature Science and Technology Division within PNNL’s National Security Directorate. The incumbent is responsible for defining and implementing effective office management processes in the division office and promulgating these practices across the Division.
This position requires working with administrative and support staff across the National Security Directorate and the Laboratory, and provides leadership (including mentoring, professional development coaching, problem solving, and workload balancing) for the division administrative team which includes seven group-level lead administrators and multiple additional supporting administrators. The position serves as a core member of the division leadership team, responsible for understanding the breadth of the division’s business and contributing novel administrative solutions to support the division’s growth.
This position, with minimal direction and a high degree of initiative, addresses a full range of business and administrative issues. A high level of responsibility, responsiveness, and confidential assistance to staff members is essential. The incumbent acts independently and with mature judgment in analyzing communications flow, situational events, taking appropriate actions and/or judging the referral or transmission of information to other team members, as required.
The range of daily contacts for this position includes senior managers from across the Laboratory, government sponsors, a variety of collaborator and subcontractor organizations, candidates for hire, other administrative staff, and PNNL staff from multiple locations across the United States.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
• Provides exceptional level of administrative assistance to the Division Director, guided by an understanding of directorate and division goals, technical group objectives, assigned responsibilities, and an evolving business environment.
• Prioritizes critical activities and maintains a high degree of responsiveness and flexibility in a constantly changing work environment, as well as anticipating needs on behalf of the Director.
• Guides the workflow of the Director by prioritizing and engaging others, as necessary, to ensure task completion.
• Provide administrative support to selected members of the extended Division leadership team, including the Division Portfolio Lead or other Division-level staff.
• Provides leadership and flows information in a timely and actionable way to the full division administrative team, and other directorate administrators as needed.
• Utilizes expert knowledge of PNNL systems, processes, and policies to efficiently and effectively manage overall office operations, and seeks out continuous process improvements.
• Represents the division office in its interactions with all levels of staff and management, demonstrating a clear, professional, and executive communication style.
• Coordinates and collaborates with the division administrative team to ensure effective support is provided both in times of heavy workloads and staff absence. May direct tasks of other administrators.
• Proactively identifies solutions and process improvements, and provides leadership in the implementation of such solutions.
• Independently completes ad hoc projects or requests as identified by the Division Director.
• Assembles, researches, and summarizes information in advance in preparation for meetings, reports, and presentations.
• Reviews incoming mail and electronic correspondence, identifies and forwards appropriate actions, and responds independently when appropriate, gathers and compiles input for response, and tracks actions and signature items.
• Ensures that the Division leadership team (Division Director, Technical Group Managers, Division Portfolio Lead) is aware of task commitments and due dates and assists with the preparation of deliverables.
• Effectively controls the Director’s office calendar and makes independent judgment to determine how and where Division Director or TGMs should take part in meetings and events, and identified appropriate delegations. Knowledge of routine and non-routine commitments, availability of staff, and close communication with administrative support staff across the Laboratory is required.
• Organizes and attends meetings, prepares agendas, coordinates and gathers information, ensuring completeness and accuracy. Ensures that assignments, follow up and accountabilities are met.
• Uses discretion and good judgment about the disclosure or processing of sensitive, confidential, or classified information or materials.
• Participates in routine NSD administrator meetings for networking, teamwork, and administrative highlights.
• Makes recommendations to resolve administrative issues/processes affecting the organizational unit and teams to develop solutions.
High School Diploma 5-8 years experience in an administrative environment, or combination of education and experience. Experience supporting at a Director or Executive level manager strongly preferred. Experience with functioning in a high-paced environment. Experience in planning meetings, coordinating travel and formatting presentations. Ability to demonstrate good communication, teaming and writing skills are required. Must be proficient with office software including Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Skype for Business.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Administration/Specialist/Support
Group: Signatures Sci & Technol Div
Opening Date: 2019-09-04
Closing Date: 2019-10-04