Pacific Northwest National Laboratory National Security Specialist in ARLINGTON, Virginia
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 309425
Directorate: National Security Directorate
Division: Computational & Statistical Analytics
Group: Operations & Analysis
Pacific Northwest National Lab (PNNL) is seeking a an information scientist embedded with one or more client organization(s), operating as a subject matter expert in support of their mission on a daily basis. This position involvles on-going, on-site support and advocacy and is performed primarily at a customer facility. It is expected that the individual identified for this position will act as a liaison between PNNL technical teams developing capabilities and officials in one or more client organizations. Key responsibilities include:
• Driving information science solutions and collaborating on behalf of the client to identify, exploit and report information of value
• Championing the adaptation of the client’s data and capability sets to other community requirements
• Identifying new collaborative opportunities for the client, and developing/executing engagement strategies to capitalize on these opportunities
• Maintaining deep knowledge of key technical and research programs in the client’s portfolio
• Providing technical insights for the application of methodologies and toolsets against holdings
• Maintaining effective and collegial working relations with officials and corporate stakeholders at all levels
• Providing insight into client interests and direction to PNNL teams, serving as the eyes and ears of PNNL at the client.
• Identifying new business opportunities for PNNL in the client organization and developing/executing engagement strategies to capitalize on these opportunities
• Providing technical insight to client and PNNL stakeholders on research and development directions
• Providing guidance on client engagement strategies and identifying and mitigating political sensitivities
• This position is located in the Washington, DC area
Bachelor’s degree plus 10 or more years of related work experience, or advanced degree plus 8 or more years of experience. Professional license and/or certification may be preferred.
• Strong initiative. Demonstrates entrepreneurial and `can-do' spirit. Highly flexible; ability to understand issues from multiple points of view, but also possess a bias toward action with an ability to follow through on implementation.
• Well-developed oral and written communication skills, including detail-oriented business writing and the ability to convey complex information accurately
• Proven ability to develop solutions to a variety of problems of moderate scope and complexity based on policy or past practice for guidance
• Demonstrated ability to research complex problems, identify and retrieve needed information, and deliver targeted results to colleagues and customers
• Above-average business skills including the ability to quickly understand expectations, and then apply that understanding to navigate PNNL business systems and processes
• Experience with client organization(s)’s mission.
• Proven ability to support complex, politically sensitive, internationally critical, and technically challenging projects.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability for writing technical, policy-oriented and project documents in a clear and understandable manner.
• This position requires an active DOD TS or DOE Q, and the ability to obtain an SCI
• Work location is in Washington, DC
Equal Employment Opportunity
Battelle Memorial Institute (BMI) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All BMI staff must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States. BMI is an E-Verify employer. Learn more at jobs.pnnl.gov.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
This position will require the ability to obtain and maintain an SCI clearance. Applicants must be U. S. citizens, no dual citizenship, and have no foreign national immediate family members. Work location will be primarily in Arlington, VA, with travel determined by project need.
This position will require occasional work around electrical computer cabinets that may include installing computer, network, and other components.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: Operations and Analysis
Opening Date: 2019-05-30
Closing Date: 2019-06-29