Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Analytical Cloud Engineer in WASHINGTON, District Of Columbia
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306720
Directorate: National Security
Division: Computing and Analytics
Group: Analysis & Operations
Do you love to work in dynamic environments that challenge your expertise and interpersonal skills? Are you curious about exploring ways to improve efficiency in multi-faceted situations? The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) encompasses a multitude of technical disciplines, capabilities, and applications that stretch the imagination and allow staff to pursue new ideas, resulting in world class research, development, engineering, and analysis. While PNNL’s main campus resides in Richland, Washington, it boasts a research facility in Seattle, Washington, and has multiple staff embedded in sponsor locations, where we provide unique expertise to our sponsor missions. This position, located in the District of Columbia, will provide research and identification of emerging IT infrastructure technologies to stay cutting edge in support of innovative cloud applications.
•Maintain proficiency in current and emerging analytical software products.
•Build proficiency with tools and data sets and collaborate with R&D developers to support technical assessments.
•Lead and perform technical assessments on emerging technology against specific requirements.
•Stay abreast over a wide area of emerging technology that will be required to support the next generation of cloud based systems in both unclassified and classified environments
•Understand sponsor problem space, identify the specific challenges and make recommendations on overcoming the challenges to deliver capability that that supports the sponsors mission in a more effective manner
•Provide technical leadership in identification of sponsor needs and assembling technical teams to support changing sponsor requirements and missions.
•Work with dynamic teams and in a challenging environment that is shared with sponsor.
•Integrate PKI authentication and security services into the cloud-based applications
•Communicate technical and complex concepts to staff and management possessing differing levels of technical breadth.
Operating on the data-information-knowledge continuum, staff at PNNL employ diverse methods to confront significant problems of national interest—from distilling distributed data into knowledge that supports decision processes, to enabling resilient technologies that enhance computing at extreme scales, to equipping cyber defenders with tools that prevent damaging cyber-attacks.
Our research portfolio—spanning from basic to applied—includes data and computational engineering, high-performance computing, applied mathematics, semantic and human language technologies, machine learning, data and computing architectures, systems integration, and software and application development.
Computing researchers and practitioners work side by side to apply advanced theories, methods, algorithms, models, evaluation tools and testbeds, and computational-based solutions address complex scientific challenges affecting energy, biological sciences, the environment, and national security.
- BS/BA degree in technical field and 5+ years of experience in computer science or a closely related field, or a Master’s degree and 3+ years’ experience, or a PhD, or at least 13 years of relevant work history.
- Must be adaptive to a dynamic environment with rapidly shifting priorities.
- Ability to perform software engineering and development of workflow application in cloud based environment in system environments that are at multiple classification levels and in accordance with ICD503.
- Experience performing technical assessments on different applications, tools, and capabilities to meet contractual document requirements.
- Proven ability to create rigorous test plans.
- Work history in software engineering and developing workflow applications in cloud-based environments.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: System Support
Opening Date: 2017-07-17
Closing Date: 2017-09-15