Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Hadoop Engineer in SEATTLE, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306044
Directorate: National Security
Division: Computing and Analytics
Group: Software Engineering & Architecture
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is searching for a skilled software engineer who loves big data and working with the latest technology. This person will help architect, design and implement a Hadoop-based analytic platform for a multi-year, PNNL research initiative and will be involved in all aspects of this effort. Ideally this candidate would be an experienced Java software engineer with significant Hadoop experience and Linux skills.
This position practices all aspects of the software development lifecycle from requirements analysis, system design, software development and testing, and deployment support. In this role, you would proactively apply and extend state-of-the-art technologies in computing systems as part of research teams developing new software solutions. In addition, this position will generate ideas for new proposals ideas to address client needs. You will lead specific tasks, exercise strong verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively with other research staff and to interact directly with clients.
Bachelor's degree with at least 7 years experience or a Master's degree with 5 years experience or a PhD with 3 years.
Must be a technical expert who selects and widely applies principles, theories and concepts in a major field of specialization.
- Extensive experience with Java, and the willingness to learn new technologies. Experience with other object-oriented languages will be considered, but our code is Java so you should be able to get up-to-speed on at least one of them quickly).
- The Hadoop eco-systems and/or other such technologies (examples include Hive, Pig, MapReduce, HDFS, HBase, Accumulo, Cassandra, Kafka, Storm and Spark). Familiarity with Hortonworks is ideal.
- Delivering business relevant solutions using the tools and technologies mentioned previously.
- Experience developing systems to handle high volumes of streaming data.
- Experience with Relational database design, SQL, and Cluster management is desired
- Linux experience, including;
-Linux/Unix and scripting languages like Bash, Python, etc.,
-Linux command line experience,
-Basic Linux administration skills a plus.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Software Eng & Architectures
Opening Date: 2016-11-17
Closing Date: 2017-04-11