Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Embedded Software Engineer in SEATTLE, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306731
Directorate: National Security
Division: Computing and Analytics
Group: Software Engineering & Architecture
PNNL and the Software Engineering & Architectures group are seeking embedded software engineers who will design, code, test, debug, and implement low-level software applications in support of research and engineering. Typical low-level software applications include development for constrained environments such as IoT, integrated systems, or mobile devices. These systems may utilize embedded Linux, Linux, RTOS, or bare-metal microcontrollers. The ideal candidate will understand the fundamentals of software engineering and how these concepts can be applied to low-level software. Candidates must be aware of system-level concepts, able to integrate components as part of a larger system, self-motivated, and have a passion for learning.
Requirements of a Software Engineer include:
- Be proactive
- Have a strong work ethic
- Communicate efficiently
- Be persistent and dependable
- Be flexible
- Be able to serve and lead teams
- Be able to work on own initiative
- Be detail oriented
- Understanding of design patterns
- Lead small teams
- Have exceptional programming knowledge
- Lead brainstorming sessions and contribute innovative and original ideas to our technology, algorithms and product
- Lead product and design team to understand end-user requirements and use cases, then translate that into a pragmatic and effective technical solution
- Dive into difficult problems and successfully deliver results within a schedule
- Be able to produce quality work
- Have good time management skills
- Be able to work with different technologies
- Design programming projects
- Stay current about industry developments
- Maintain or follow quality assurance procedures
Operating on the data-information-knowledge continuum, staff at PNNL employ diverse methods to confront significant problems of national interest—from distilling distributed data into knowledge that supports decision processes, to enabling resilient technologies that enhance computing at extreme scales, to equipping cyber defenders with tools that prevent damaging cyber-attacks.
Our research portfolio—spanning from basic to applied—includes data and computational engineering, high-performance computing, applied mathematics, semantic and human language technologies, machine learning, data and computing architectures, systems integration, and software and application development.
Computing researchers and practitioners work side by side to apply advanced theories, methods, algorithms, models, evaluation tools and testbeds, and computational-based solutions address complex scientific challenges affecting energy, biological sciences, the environment, and national security.
Bachelor’s degree with 2-3 years’ experience, Master’s degree with 0-2 years’ experience or PHD.
- Proficient in at least one modern programming language (C/C++, Python, Java)
- Experience developing software/firmware as part of a team
- Understand basic computer architectures and operating principles
- Understanding of the software life cycle
- Familiarity with the Linux operating system
- Knowledge of Linux kernel modules and/or Windows drivers
- Familiarity with low-power embedded system design principals
- Knowledge of prototyping platforms (Arduino, Raspberry Pi)
- Knowledge of serial protocols (UART, I2C, SPI, etc.)
- Knowledge of software design patterns
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is subject to the Department of Energy Unclassified Foreign Visits & Assignment Program site, information, technologies, and equipment access requirements.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: Software Eng & Architectures
Opening Date: 2017-07-24
Closing Date: 2017-09-08