Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Data Scientist in Social Media Analytics in SEATTLE, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306007
Directorate: National Security
Division: Computational and Statistical Analytics
Group: Data Sciences and Analytics
Data science at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory addresses critical national and global issues by applying scientific and mathematical techniques to multiple data sources and communicating the finding to our sponsors and the academic community. This position requires thought leadership and technical depth to support the sponsors of PNNL’s National Security Directorate in the development and advancement of data science, social media analytics, and applied machine learning research. Themes of interest include the development, implementation, and resulting analyses related to social network analytics, time series analysis, human language technologies, image & video characterization, machine learning and related fields. Positions are available in Richland, WA and Seattle, WA, based on business need.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Application of standard theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies within specialty field.
- Independently completes tasks and activities in a team environment; interact regularly with team members and project managers.
- Contribute to the technical content of proposals and technical products such as journal and conference publications and technical presentations will be expected. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Contribute to multiple projects simultaneously and work effectively in a dynamic team environment with high expectations for quality.
Discipline, principal job duties/expectations, and qualitative and quantitative measures of performance that exceed the Functional Descriptor:
- Interest, curiosity and technical depth to support the development and advancement of a variety of applied problems specific to the national security community.
- Familiar with big data technologies such as ElasticSearch, NiFi, Kafka, etc.
- Experience serving on conference/workshop program committees and/or actively producing open source or protected IP products in the field of social data.
- Ability to contribute that knowledge to the academic and research strength of PNNL and have experience writing scientific publications demonstrating their insight and discovery.
- Publication record in scientific conferences such as NIPS, ICML, ICLR, CVPR, ICCV, ECCV, ACL, ICWSM, EMNLP, NAACL, EACL, COLING, and SIGIR.
Bachelor's degree in computer science or closely related field with strong software design and development skills with 2-3 years' experience or a Master's degree with 0-2 years' experience or a Ph.D. with 0 years' experience is required.
Expected to contribute professionally, building a professional reputation for technical expertise. Fully applying and interpreting standard theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies.
Bachelor's degree in computer science or closely related field with strong software design and development skills with 5 years' experience or a Master's degree with 3 years' experience or a Ph.D. with 1-2 years' experience is required.
Independent contributor. Fully functioning, fully knowledgeable of theory, principles and practices. Knowledgeable of and proficient in one or several primary subject areas.
Working knowledge in one or several related skill-sets such as:
- Social media analytics
- Machine learning
- Software engineering
- Computational linguistics and human language technologies
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Scientists/Scientific Support
Group: Data Sciences & Analytics
Opening Date: 2016-11-09
Closing Date: 2017-01-09