Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Data Scientist (Entry Level) - Computational Systems in SEATTLE, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306050
Directorate: National Security
Division: Computational & Statistical Analytics
Group: Data Science & Analytics
Data science at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory performs data-driven research and discovery facilitated by the tools and techniques of computational modeling, machine learning, human language technologies, cognitive science and semantic systems. A core capability is the delivery of at-scale systems to identify, collect, distill, represent, organize, and synthesize data to produce knowledge. Our national security focus drives important challenges in scalable systems and information fusion within the context of large, messy, streaming, distributed, and incomplete data. Positions are available in Richland, WA and Seattle, WA, based on business need.
- Application of basic theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies to well-defined assignments of limited scope.
- Perform basic tasks and activities with minimal oversight in a team environment; interact regularly with team members, principal investigators and project managers.
- Contribute to the technical content of proposals and technical products such as journal and conference publications and technical presentations will be expected. Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Contribute to multiple projects simultaneously and work effectively in a dynamic team environment with high expectations for quality.
- Working knowledge is preferred in at least one of the following related skill-sets:
- Machine learning
- Mathematical modeling
- Computational linguistics and other human language technologies
- Forecasting and prediction
Bachelor's degree in computer science or closely related field with strong software design and development skills with 0-1 years' experience or a Master's degree with 0 years' experience is required.
Expected to contribute professionally, applying basic theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies to well-defined assignments of limited scope.
Bachelor's degree in computer science or closely related field with strong software design and development skills with 2-3 years' experience or a Master's degree with 0-2 years' experience or a Ph.D. with 0 years' experience is preferred.
Working knowledge in experiment design and hypothesis testing
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Scientists/Scientific Support
Group: Data Sciences & Analytics
Opening Date: 2016-11-17
Closing Date: 2016-12-03