Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Technical Group Manager - Scientific & Computing Operations in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306518
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Division: Environmental Molecular Science Division
Group: Science & Technology
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) and the Environmental Molecular Sciences Laboratory (EMSL) seek a senior scientist to lead a Scientific & Computing Operations Group of about 30 staff members (including limited-term employees such as postdoctoral research associates) and to contribute to our research programs. The EMSL is a U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Science user facility that provides innovative and breakthrough experimental and computational science that addresses DOE Office of Biological and Environmental Research (BER) programs by providing access to more than 75 state-of-the-art instrumental and computational capabilities. EMSL users address some of the most important molecular-to-mesoscale challenges relevant to DOE missions. The successful individual will lead a group that supports the advancement of EMSL Science and Technology (S&T) as well as provide excellent management of a productive and influential R&D and support organization. The successful candidate will learn quickly about the group’s practices and proactively support R&D, capabilities and operations to advance the effectiveness and impact of the group for EMSL and its users. The successful candidate will also provide leadership across EMSL as the Chief Technologist by providing a vision and strategy for EMSL S&T with special emphasis on identifying and developing new technical capabilities, both experimental and computational, to enhance both the user program and EMSL’s scientific impact. The candidate will thus have broad responsibility for developing, implementing, and executing EMSL’s overall capability development strategy. Candidates will quickly establish themselves as a leader in their field at EMSL and PNNL, and serve as an active resource for others, mentoring early career staff for both EMSL other PNNL R&D and/or support activities.
Managerial responsibilities include the following:
- Provide scientific and technological leadership and effective line management for the Scientific & Computing Operations Group. This is a multidisciplinary computational, experimental/technology, and user interface group integrating EMSL S&T development, computer operations, and user support. Responsibilities include mentoring EMSL staff, encouraging a continued upward trend in EMSL’s scientific productivity and impact, and ensuring safe and secure operations within the group.
- Develop the future S&T vision and strategy, with inputs from scientific leaders, of potential breakthrough environmental molecular science capabilities to enhance EMSL missions and scientific impact.
- Identify needs and pursue investments in capability and technology development to meet future staff/sponsor/user needs. Develop and implement a multi-year capability plan, as part of EMSL Strategic Plan, to support EMSL scientific objectives. Coordinate the development and acquisition of both foundational and world-class capabilities in concert with EMSL, PNNL, and DOE BER plans.
- Collaborate with sector managers and others inside and outside PNNL to develop new R&D and operational projects and programs for the group and the division.
- Recruit outstanding new staff to meet current and anticipated needs and to build new capability areas aligned with EMSL, BER and PNNL strategic priorities, and support career growth of group members, including annual performance reviews and career planning activities.
- Participate in division and, when requested, directorate and PNNL-level operational, strategic planning, and line management meetings.
- Business management of research activities, including employee time reporting, safety and risk assessment.
- Represent the group and its research activities to others inside and outside PNNL, in both scientific and management forums, and take a leadership role in outreach to BER PIs and communications with DOE programmatic leaders.
Research responsibilities include:
- Direct & lead the development of unique capability and scientific tools that distinguish EMSL and help attract the best and brightest users.
- Lead and/or contribute to projects performing R&D leading to high-value results such as high-impact peer-reviewed publications, high-impact deliverables to EMSL and PNNL, developing expertise and ideas, and mentoring scientific staff.
- Actively participate in technical outreach activities, including symposia development, invited and technical paper presentations, and industrial interactions to advance and promote the user and science mission of EMSL
- Contribute to external R&D activities including both professional societies and research agencies that set the future research agenda.
Job level will be considered based on qualifications/experience.
Scientist, Level V: BS degree with 9+ years of experience, MS degree with 7+ years of experience, or a PhD with 5+ years of experience.
Scientist, Level VI: PhD with 7+ years of experience, with distinguished personal achievements. Must contain a widely recognized international/national authority. Technical contributions recognized as having a very substantial impact on advancing the current state of knowledge and understand in scientific or technical disciplines.
- Ph.D. in an area of R&D or an operational field relevant to the mission of EMSL, with a strong demonstrated record of accomplishment with high-impact publications and/or deliverables, and a national reputation.
- Demonstrated program development, project management, and/or line management.
- Experience with multidisciplinary, multi-institutional teams is highly important.
- Excellent communications, interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Earth & Biological Sciences
Job Category: Scientists/Scientific Support
Group: Science and Technology
Opening Date: 2017-04-19
Closing Date: 2017-06-01