Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Software Engineer in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306208
Directorate: Communications & Information Technology
Division: Software Engineering
Group: Facilities, Property, & IT
Come and work for a billion dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself, and make a difference in the world. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, and flexible work schedules.
As a National Laboratory, we offer a unique blend of opportunities for the exceptional candidate. This position’s main focus encompasses the design, development, implementation, maintenance, operation, and support of information systems relevant to the administration of PNNL’s Facilities, Property, and IT systems. Your work will include: maintaining and operating existing business information systems, partnering with clients to define, build and deliver innovative software solutions to complex business and scientific problems; working with effective teams from multiple disciplines; and recommending and implementing technology standards and software development best practices. As a member of one or more of our Project Teams or Service Management teams you are expected to develop knowledge of the goals of projects or clients you are supporting – and maintain a customer service focus commensurate with this position.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation's energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a safer and cleaner place.
Located in Richland, Washington, and part of the Tri-Cities community at the confluence of the Columbia, Snake and Yakima rivers, residents enjoy abundant water recreation, award-winning wineries, and more than 300 days of sunshine a year. Far enough away from Seattle and Portland to avoid their rain and daily traffic jams but close enough to visit and enjoy their arts and culture. We're in the perfect position to choose between hiking and snow skiing in the Cascade Mountain range, world-class windsurfing in the Columbia Gorge, or camping in Hells Canyon. Perhaps these are among the reasons the Tri-Cities area is among the top 10 metropolitan growth areas for jobs in the United States, and why Money Magazine included it among its Top 100 Places to Live in America.
Are you a talented software professional who is ready to play a central role in the maintenance and operations of business critical technology? Do you obsess with finding the right way – and believe that simplicity is genius and perfection is the enemy? Have you demonstrated the ability to be a contributing professional who has started to build a reputation for technical expertise – and want to work in an environment where you are expected to grow at a fast pace? Have you provided innovative solutions to a wide range of complex and ambiguous problems with minimal supervision? Are you experienced in all phases of the software development lifecycle and have a clear understanding of software development best practices? Do you have a fearless, positive attitude, and the way in which you achieve success is consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration and Creativity? Do you possess the desire to keep abreast of industry trends with the ability to apply those trends in your work? If so, then we would like to talk with you about the current openings in our software application development and support group.
You @ PNNL
Your key responsibilities and accountabilities would include:
- Provide technical leadership and individual contribution to software development projects across a broad range of technologies and subject areas;
- Analyze existing systems and formulate logic for new systems – defining logic procedures, preparing design documents, test plans, and test results;
- Utilize software engineering best practices through the entire software development lifecycle and recommend changes in development, maintenance, and system standards;
- Collaborate effectively on diverse teams (e.g., Service / Project managers, domain experts, users, and software engineering team) to design and deploy innovative business information systems across the enterprise;
- Work independently, prioritize individual workloads, troubleshoot and remedy problems under pressing deadlines in an operational environment;
- Enhance the technical and professional skills of junior staff through active mentoring and training;
- Develop and support technical integration strategies for custom and commercial off-the-shelf products supporting diverse domain experts;
- Assimilate knowledge quickly in a variety of domains.
- Continuously scanning the software development landscape for new technologies and methods to achieve results that can be incorporated into the enterprise.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field and 2 years experience or MS degree and 1 year experience (preferred); or 10 years experience.
Knowledge and experience in the development and maintenance of complex software systems using software development methodologies and best practices;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Familiarity with Agile, Lean or ITIL practices desired;
- Experience in the design and development of web applications, web services and web API;
- Knowledge and experience in applying software design patterns (such as MVC), using software development tools / rich-client platform development frameworks (such as Visual Studio.NET, Eclipse, and Net Beans)
- Knowledge and experience in applying layered architecture patterns
- Familiarity with secure coding practices specifically around cross-site scripting and SQL injection
- Understanding of Object Oriented Programming concepts;
- Fundamental knowledge of SQL Server & Oracle DBMS.
- Knowledge with Continuous Delivery Tools (Jira, Confluence, Jenkins, GIT) and methodologies
- Familiar with Web Server Configuration – IIS, Tomcat, Apache
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: Comm & Information Technology
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: Business Systms Supp & Opr's
Opening Date: 2017-01-18
Closing Date: 2017-03-09