Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Software Engineer in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 305897
Directorate: Energy and Environment
Division: Earth Systems Science
Group: Risk & Decision Sciences
This entry level position reports to the Risk and Decision Sciences Technical Group Manager within the Earth System Sciences Division and involves collaborating with a team to perform routine functions that include gathering requirements from users, software development and troubleshooting, and providing input or continuous system improvements and daily maintenance and support of the software. Working under senior staff, this position will contribute to tasks related to software design, development, configuration, testing, and preparing professional system documents. The successful candidate will support a number of projects utilizing multiple technologies. They will assist in documentation, design, and development of software, and may also spend time in testing and configuration activities.
- This position will support other software engineers and application developers in the development and implementation of a diverse set of projects.
- Contribute to the design, development, and configuration of software, which may include customizing screens; adding or modifying logic; data and database changes; and installing patches or upgrades.
- Perform basic troubleshooting and research issues to solve problems
- Apply organizational policies and procedures to resolve routine issues.
- Perform basic tasks and activities with minimal oversight.
- Make preliminary selections and adaptations of technical alternatives.
- Understand the software engineering methodology and optimally perform systems change management.
- Identify and resolve routine issues that appear in the software engineering environment.
- Develop end-user documentation in the conversion and implementation of software.
- The Risk and Decision Sciences Technical Group Manager for general staff performance and development, operational discipline (e.g., maintaining training qualifications, procedural compliance, safe operations), and promoting cooperation and teamwork within group and projects.
- Program/Project Managers and Technology Leads for performing assigned project roles and following applicable project and laboratory procedures and performance of assigned tasks on time and within budget.
Bachelor's degree with 0-1 years experience or a Master's degree in Computer Science.
Expected to contribute professionally, applying basic theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies to well-defined assignments of limited scope.
-Based on client and project requirements, US citizenship is required.
- Understanding of Object Oriented Programming concepts; computer science tools, methods, platforms and operating systems.
- Ability to develop and maintain software applications for both client server and web deployment.
- Experience with software engineering methodologies, design and implementations.
- Foundational knowledge of the software lifecycle and engineering best practice, including specification, documentation configuration management, testing and quality assurance.
- Knowledge and experience with relational database applications (e.g. MySQL, SQL Server, and SQL Query language).
- Preferred Knowledge and experience with Content Management Systems (e.g., Drupal).
- Preferred Knowledge of software testing techniques: manual and automated testing, and executing test cases.
- Knowledge and experience with web-mapping API’s (e.g. Leaflet, OpenLayers, ESRI Dojo) an integrating map-based logic with dedicated modern front-end frame work, such as Angular, React, or Polymer.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Risk & Decision Sciences
Opening Date: 2016-10-12
Closing Date: 2016-10-26