Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Senior Software Engineer (Team Lead) - Web Solutions in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306917
Directorate: Communications and Information Technology
Division: Software Engineering
Group: Web Solutions
Come and work for a billion dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself, and make a difference in the world. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, and flexible work schedules.
This role is about leveraging technology with a simple and focused mission around maintaining and improving web content delivery for the laboratory utilizing dynamic and innovative solutions. The Team Lead manages a suite of custom built solutions, across multiple platforms including Drupal and Microsoft SharePoint. The Team Lead will be responsible for the vision, direction, and partnering with senior management to development talent necessary for upcoming major improvements. The position will manage a team of 8-10 assigned staff to be highly productive in a supportive and safe work environment.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation's energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a safer and cleaner place.
Located in Richland, Washington, and part of the Tri-Cities community at the confluence of the Columbia, Snake and Yakima rivers, residents enjoy abundant water recreation, award-winning wineries, and more than 300 days of sunshine a year. Far enough away from Seattle and Portland to avoid their rain and daily traffic jams but close enough to visit and enjoy their arts and culture. We're in the perfect position to choose between hiking and snow skiing in the Cascade Mountain range, world-class windsurfing in the Columbia Gorge, or camping in Hells Canyon. Perhaps these are among the reasons the Tri-Cities area is among the top 10 metropolitan growth areas for jobs in the United States, and why Money Magazine included it among its Top 100 Places to Live in America.
Are you a talented software professional who is ready to play a central role in the maintenance and operations of business critical technology? Do you obsess with finding the right way – and believe that simplicity is genius and perfection is the enemy? Have you demonstrated the ability to be a contributing professional who has started to build a reputation for technical expertise – and want to work in an environment where you are expected to grow at a fast pace? Have you provided innovative solutions to a wide range of complex and ambiguous problems with minimal supervision? Are you experienced in all phases of the software development lifecycle and have a clear understanding of software development best practices? Do you have a fearless, positive attitude, and the way in which you achieve success is consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration and Creativity? Do you posess the desire to keep abreast of industry trends with the ability to apply those trends in your work? If so, then we would like to talk with you about the current openings in our software delivery group.
You @ PNNL
Your key responsibilities and accountabilities would include:
- Provide leadership for, and direct, the actions of the team that is immersed in the technology necessary to support the financial institution of PNNL and empower the researcher.
- Work towards meeting and exceeding performance metrics defined to ensure applications are being delivered to defined service levels.
- Provide customers with a professional experience when requesting application development and support.
- Ensure adherence to PNNL Deployment Methodology for delivery of business capabilities in applications.
- Execute to standard operations procedures to leverage efficiencies and best practices for release and deployment, service request and incident management.
- Effectively manage technical resources of various skills to achieve development and operations objectives, maintaining current skills and capabilities, and ensuring adequate cross-training on product expertise.
- Manage the adoption and adaptation of emerging technologies to meet changing business requirements and opportunities.
- Ensure applications are developed and maintained securely.
Success in this role means delivering results through strong leadership and a relentless focus on what’s best for our users. Success means continually holding oneself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of co-workers. Success is believing that you have a positive impact on the research and development efforts at a national laboratory and that your work makes a difference with our clients and users.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field and 8+ years' experience or MS degree and 6 years' experience.
- Experience managing small (8-10) technical teams
- Strong background in managing multiple sites on either the Drupal or SharePoint framework
- Strong development experience on either the Drupal or SharePoint framework
- Exceptional communicator with both technical and nontechnical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to lead and motivate technical teams
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically to deliver innovative solutions
- Customer service oriented and approachable
- Deliver results with highest level of professionalism and integrity
- Passionate about mentoring and developing staff
- Experience with iterative development practices such as Agile or Scrum;
- Experience with Continuous Delivery Tools (Jira, Confluence, Jenkins, GIT) and methodologies
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: Comm & Information Technology
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: Software Delivery
Opening Date: 2017-09-29
Closing Date: 2017-10-30