Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Senior Software Engineer - Architect in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 305892
Directorate: National Security
Division: Computational & Statistical Analytics
Group: Software Engineering & Architecture
PNNL is looking for a seasoned engineer to join a stellar team working on a wide arrange of products to solve significant national level problems. While this is an individual contributor role, you’ll be involved in many aspects– helping evolve our existing architecture, working with teams to improve operations, and implementing new features and functionality. We’re looking for someone who has an interest in system architecture, but a passion for getting things done.
- Build robust and scalable software in Java
- Design and create services and system architecture for projects, and contribute and provide feedback to other team members
- Help improve code quality through writing unit tests, automation and performing code reviews
- Participate in brainstorming sessions and contribute ideas to our technology, algorithms and capabilities
- Work with the product and design teams to understand end-user requirements, formulate use cases, and then translate that into a pragmatic and effective technical solution
- Java, and the willingness to learn new technologies (experience with other object-oriented languages is okay too, but our code is Java so you should be able to get up-to-speed on at least one of them quickly)
- Linux/Unix and scripting languages like Python, shell scripting, etc.
- Delivering one major system from scratch where you were responsible for designing the architecture.
- Service Oriented Architectures, API design, and 24/7 Operations. (We want our system to be up and always available, yet decoupled and easy to update and maintain.)
- Data storage that shows us you know when to use a file system, relational database, or NoSQL variant. We’ll also need you to be able to communicate the tradeoffs behind different options
- Networking and core Internet protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, HTTP, and distributed networks)
Bachelor's degree with at least 7 years experience or a Master's degree with 5 years experience or a PhD with 3 years.
Must be a technical expert who selects and widely applies principles, theories and concepts in a major field of specialization.
Experience with different databases, including working knowledge of SQL, relational data stores (we use Postgres) — and maybe even NoSQL databases.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Software Eng & Architectures
Opening Date: 2016-10-12
Closing Date: 2016-11-13