Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Senior Security Operations Specialist in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306912
Directorate: National Security
Division: Systems Engineering & Integration
Group: Physical Protection Implementation
This is a limited term full-time project position, with an estimated end date on or around December 31, 2018. Possibility for extending the duration depends upon funding and incumbent performance. This position is responsible for providing technical leadership in the assessment and analysis of nuclear security in the international and domestic environment. The incumbent fulfills these responsibilities through bridging the gap between field implementation and Science and Technology content at the laboratory with the intent of enhancing PNNL’s ability to bring Science to Solutions. This involves active participation in providing leadership and technical expertise in the development, operation, and implementation of Physical Security and Material Control and Accountability (MC&A) related projects and programs. In discharging these duties the incumbent will be responsible for maintaining strategic alliances with a diverse set of sponsors across multiple agencies and foreign governments, mentoring early career staff and peers for technical growth, and linking programmatic activities to achieve maximum effectiveness. The incumbent will be a key technical resource at PNNL to help institutionalize processes to maintain these cross-functional/capability relationships.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Assess physical security systems and/or MC&A requirements at domestic and foreign nuclear facilities, develop design criteria, and influence implementation to enhance the overall security posture.
- Evaluate emerging safeguards and security technologies to assess potential applications at nuclear facilities across a broad range of operational environments, and integrate physical protection, protective force, material control and accounting principles, communications, and transportation into an effective safeguards and security program.
- Maintain relationships at the highest levels across multiple organizations/agencies, both foreign and domestic, and leverage those relationships to further PNNL’s reputation as a laboratory of choice for security technologies and solutions.
- Lead efforts to identify and evaluate improved security technologies, techniques, and practices; and integrate them with capabilities from other organizations.
- Understand and maneuver within the Lab Customer Service Model to ensure that all applicable entities are working effectively to further the National Security & PNNL mission relative to physical protection implementation capabilities.
- Collaborate with Technical Group Manager and others to effectively recruit, retain, and develop enhanced/next-generation physical protection and MC&A capabilities.
Bachelor’s degree plus 9 years of experience; or advanced degree plus 6 years of experience.
Travel both domestically and internationally is required.
Bachelor’s degree plus 11 years of experience; or advanced degree plus 8 years of experience
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Safeguards and Security
Group: Physical Protection Implemen
Opening Date: 2017-01-09
Closing Date: 2017-02-01