Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Senior Hadoop Operations Engineer/Administrator in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306492
Directorate: National Security
Division: Computing & Analytics
Group: Software Engineering & Architecture
As a Senior Hadoop Operations Engineer/Administrator, you will be equal parts systems implementer and solutions architect. You are a self-starter and problem solver. You will support laboratory mission needs – ready to do whatever it takes to enable world-class research. You solve complex technical and business problems and find innovative solutions.
This position practices all aspects of the operations engineering and systems administration lifecycle from requirements analysis, system design, implementation, testing, and deployment support. In this role, you would proactively apply and extend state-of-the-art technologies in computing systems as part of research teams developing new software solutions. In addition, this position will contribute ideas for new proposals to address novel client challenges. You will lead specific tasks, exercise strong verbal and written communication skills to collaborate effectively with other research staff and to interact directly with clients.
- Setup highly available Hadoop clusters, understanding of how and when to scale, add and remove nodes, keep track of jobs, monitor critical parts of the cluster, schedule, and configure backups
- Strong understanding of JVM debugging, management and tuning
- Familiarity with open source configuration management and deployment tools such as Ansible, Puppet or Chef and Linux scripting
- Familiarity with Java programming
- Familiarity with Virtual Machines, Dockers and cloud computing environments
Operating on the data-information-knowledge continuum, staff at PNNL employ diverse methods to confront significant problems of national interest—from distilling distributed data into knowledge that supports decision processes, to enabling resilient technologies that enhance computing at extreme scales, to equipping cyber defenders with tools that prevent damaging cyber-attacks.
Our research portfolio—spanning from basic to applied—includes data and computational engineering, high-performance computing, applied mathematics, semantic and human language technologies, machine learning, data and computing architectures, systems integration, and software and application development.
Computing researchers and practitioners work side by side to apply advanced theories, methods, algorithms, models, evaluation tools and testbeds, and computational-based solutions address complex scientific challenges affecting energy, biological sciences, the environment, and national security.
Bachelor’s degree with at least 7 years technical experience or a Master’s degree with 5 years’ experience
PhD with 3 years
- Familiarity with Hortonworks HDP and HDF solution stacks is ideal, specifically Ambari managed clusters
- Hortonworks or Cloudera Hadoop Administrator certifications
- Operational experience with Hadoop technologies include Ambari, Ranger, Atlas, Knox, NiFi, Kafka, Storm, Hive, Pig, MapReduce, HDFS, HBase, Accumulo, Spark
- Delivering business relevant solutions using the tools and technologies mentioned previously
- Experience developing systems to handle high volumes of streaming data
- Experience with Relational database design, SQL, and Cluster management is desired
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: Software Eng & Architectures
Opening Date: 2017-04-11
Closing Date: 2017-05-15