Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Science Programs (Delta) - Data Science Intern (Academic) in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306085
Directorate: National Security
Division: Computational & Statistical Analytics
Group: Data Sciences
Data science at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) addresses critical national and global issues by applying scientific and mathematical techniques to multiple data sources and communicating the finding to our sponsors and the academic community. This position requires software development and data analysis knowledge to support the sponsors of PNNL’s National Security Directorate in the development and advancement of data science research. Research of interest includes the development, implementation, and resulting analyses related to social computing, human language technologies, real-time streaming algorithms, national security, disaster response and recovery, health security, image/video understanding and other related fields.
This intern would assist in the development and optimization of novel distributed deep neural network architectures. The intern would develop and maintain code to support a range of deep learning tasks, including (but not limited to) algorithms that learn sparse representations of deep neural networks, algorithms that encode complex networked systems as deep neural network architectures, and algorithms for visualizing complex deep neural networks.
The day-to-day tasks of this project will involve a blend of computational and theoretical work. The intern should be independent, a fast learner, and willing to try things out aggressively. There will be regular project meetings and the intern should be familiar with the principles of technical presentation and group discussion.
****BEFORE YOU APPLY****
When asked to upload your resume to your application, you need to upload one (1) PDF file that includes the following:
4.Personal Statement: Describe who you are beyond your academic achievements and potential. Offer information in regards to what kind of activities, leadership or experiences you’ve had that contributed toward your interest in STEM.
APPLICATIONS THAT DO NOT INCLUDE THE ITEMS ABOVE IN THEIR SINGLE PDF UPLOAD WILL BE DISQUALIFIED AS INCOMPLETE.
- Applicants must be 16 years of age at time of hire.
- Applicants must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher (from beginning of 9th grade to current standing).
- Applicants must be enrolled as seniors at Delta High School for school year 2016-2017.
- Must have at least 4+ years experience programming in Python.
- 3,0 GPA preferred
- Must be a confident, independent, and self-starting learner.
- Familiarity with quantitative problem formulation, code development, benchmarking, and scientific documentation.
- Must have a strong quantitative background in mathematics, prior or ongoing coursework with single variable calculus and multivariate calculus is a plus.
- Some experience training and optimizing deep neural networks.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Undergraduate Internships
Group: Data Sciences & Analytics
Opening Date: 2016-11-30
Closing Date: 2016-12-07