Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Project Manager, Nuclear Risk in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306292
Directorate: Energy and Environment
Division: Earth Systems Science
Group: Risk & Decision Sciences
The Risk and Decision Sciences Group (RDS) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) provides an opportunity to work in a dynamic environment solving challenging and interesting problems with national and international impact. The RDS team develops novel analytical methods and integrates them with state-of-the-art technologies to help clients, define the decision workspace, prioritize risks, and develop defensible risk management strategies. The team provides innovative solutions throughout the entire decision-making process that serve as the foundation for developing strategies to minimize risks to individuals or the public, program life cycles, facility designs and operations, and the environment.
We are seeking a Project Manager p to be responsible for the development and implementation of nuclear risk analysis projects and programs. The successful candidate will have the ability to apply risk and decision analysis skills to manage a diverse range of nuclear and other science related-projects including project risk and regulatory assessments and engineering alternative studies. The successful candidate will apply knowledge and experience to develop strategic approaches to compiling, analyzing and interpreting decision support data.
The incumbent will work with multidisciplinary teams of scientists and engineers in the Risk & Decision Sciences Group in the development and implementation of strategic projects. The project manager will actively focus on project management, technical contributions and business development.
The project manager will apply knowledge of risk assessment methodology and related data analysis techniques for nuclear facilities, project risk, and plant life extension/reactor aging management to:
- Lead proposal teams for developing business through vetted, competitive, and approvable proposals, delivered on time and within budget.
- Effectively and efficiently execute significant projects/programs, while managing risk and meeting all project terms and conditions.
- Assemble multi-disciplinary risk teams and manage and mentor early career staff in accomplishing reviews and building capabilities in risk assessment across applicable PNNL groups.
- Prepare technical reports and deliver presentations to clients.
- Manage technical products for projects to assure that they are delivered with the required level of quality, timeliness, and cost to meet or exceed client expectations.
- Market Sector Manager for business development and program implementation.
- Project Management Office Director to address execution issues and mitigate project/program risks.
- Program/Project Managers for performing assigned project roles for following applicable project and laboratory procedures and performance of assigned tasks on time and within budget.
- The Risk and Decision Sciences Technical Group Manager for general staff performance and development, operational discipline (e.g., maintaining training qualifications, procedural compliance, safe operations), and promoting cooperation and teamwork within group and projects.
The level of the position will be dependent on candidate experience and qualifications.
Associate Senior Level:
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 6 years of experience, or an advanced degree plus 4 years of experience.
- 3 or more years of experience relevant to project management and depth of knowledge in nuclear risk assessment needed to deliver project(s).
Title Only Level:
- Bachelor’s Degree plus 8 years of experience, or an advanced degree plus 6 years of experience.
- 4 or more years of experience relevant to project management and depth of knowledge in nuclear risk assessment needed to deliver project(s).
- PMP certification or demonstrated equivalent (knowledge competency criteria) encouraged.
- Based on client and project requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Future Department of Energy Clearance may be required.
- Degree in nuclear engineering or related field.
- Demonstrated experience in project risk assessments and applying risk assessment skills to support business development and project implementation for nuclear related projects, e.g., @Risk, Crystal Ball, Pertmaster.
- Effective technical leadership of teams on multiple or significant risk related projects and tasks. - Experience managing moderate to large, complex projects.
- Demonstrated experience and interactions with senior level management.
- Technical expertise and knowledge of nuclear engineering and risk methodology and related data analysis techniques for nuclear related studies.
- Extensive knowledge and practical experience of risk applications. This would include an understanding of what model attributes are necessary for the sound and defensible use of risk elicitation and Monte Carlo risk analyses and decision informed tools in various research and applied applications.
- Past performance must demonstrate attributes of being self-motivated and self-directed. Excellent written and oral communications skills are required. Must have experience in preparing, reviewing, and presenting the results of complex technical reports and recommendations to senior management.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Managers
Group: Risk & Decision Sciences
Opening Date: 2017-02-13
Closing Date: 2017-03-15