Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Portfolio Manager in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306277
Directorate: Communications & Information Technology
Division: Software Engineering
Come and work for a billion-dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself and make a difference. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, and flexible work schedules.
The Portfolio Manager operates at the intersection of a Business area and Technology to iteratively deliver capabilities that achieve key organizational objectives. The Portfolio Manager develops a deep understanding of their domain and collaborates closely with a variety of stakeholders to define and prioritize the product backlog. They work closely with Agile Delivery teams to answer questions on intent and connect efforts with the broader purpose of the organization. They are responsible for articulating and translating the overall business vision into strategy and the tactics necessary to make it reality.
YOU @ PNNL
Your key responsibilities and accountabilities would include:
- Acts in the Agile Product Owner role
- Aligned with a Business Area to develop a deep understanding the vision and objectives
- Engages with key Stakeholders to create a clear understanding of the overall portfolio of intent
- Serves as the primary point of contact between IT and the Business Area
- Prioritizes the work to be done by the dedicated Agile Team(s) over various iterations, i.e. Backlog
- Ensures the Backlog and User Stories are actively managed/groomed and transparent
- Acts as the primary point of contact for the Agile Teams for questions around intent
- Works closely with the Agile Team to ensure completed work meets the needs of the Stakeholder(s)
- Collaborates with other Portfolio Manager to share opportunities and learnings
- Helps the Agile Team to continuously improve their ability to deliver
- Works with Stakeholders to define minimum viable product (MVP)
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field and 8 years' relevant experience or MS degree and 6 years' experience.
- Deep understanding of Agile and its various implementations (Scrum, Kanban, etc.)
- 5+ years working with Business partners in shaping strategy and requirements
- 3+ years acting in a Product Owner (or similar) role
- 3+ years of Agile Software Development Experience
- Experience in transforming teams and organizations to new methodologies and mindsets
- Experience with the Scale Agile Framework (SAFe)
- Familiarity with a DevOps mindset and its practices
- Familiarity with Design Thinking
- Experience with the technology landscape that enable responsive delivery including Containers, Cloud, and Continuous Delivery
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
The successful candidate shall possess the following personal and professional attributes:
- Critical thinker and problem solver
- Focused on continuous improvement
- Lifelong learner open to pursuing new ways of thinking
- Excellent collaboration and listening skills
- Comfortable with change and ambiguity
- Motivated by supporting the Mission and Objectives
- Drives responsive organizational transformation based on trust and ownership
- Can break a broad vision into smaller pieces of value
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously
- Demonstrates business acumen and ability to influence
- Interact effectively with technical and non-technical roles
You work consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration and Creativity.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation’s energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a cleaner and safer place.
Located in Richland, Washington, and part of the Tri-Cities community at the confluence of the Columbia, Snake and Yakima rivers, residents enjoy abundant water recreation, award-winning wineries, and more than 300 days of sunshine a year. Far enough away from Seattle and Portland to avoid their rain and daily traffic jams but close enough to visit and enjoy their arts and culture. We're in the perfect position to choose between hiking and snow skiing in the Cascade Mountain range, world-class windsurfing in the Columbia Gorge, or camping in Hells Canyon. Perhaps these are among the reasons the Tri-Cities area is among the top 10 metropolitan growth areas for jobs in the United States, and why Money Magazine included it among its Top 100 Places to Live in America.
Success in this role means delivering results through strong technical skill, communications, and collaboration with a relentless focus on what’s best for our users. Success means continually holding oneself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of co-workers. Success is walking into PNNL every work day with a belief that you can positively impact on the research and development efforts at a national laboratory. You know that your work makes a difference with our clients and users.
Directorate: Comm & Information Technology
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: Software Engineering
Opening Date: 2017-02-09
Closing Date: 2017-03-11