Pacific Northwest National Laboratory PhD Intern - Computing, Math and Data Sciences Intern (NSIP) in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306905
Directorate: National Security
Division: Computing & Analytics
PNNL is seeking graduate students for assignments within the National Security Internship Program (NSIP). The Computing and Analytics Division is looking for individuals who have a passion for solving critical national challenges using advanced computational, statistical, and mathematical techniques. The intern will be given an opportunity to be presented with complex problems in national security, energy, and science; apply cutting-edge research to make our nation safer and stronger; develop complex computer code; develop and participate in cyber competitions; design new visualization; work with big data, and optimize solutions for energy. Positions are available in Richland, WA and Seattle, WA, based on business need.
Diverse Focus Areas: Your internship can be in one of six technical groups.
1. Applied Statistics & Computational Modeling: Employ powerful tools and techniques, such as mathematical modeling and computational statistics to solve complex problems in a variety of domains.
Disciplines: statistics, applied mathematics, operations research.
2. Cyber Security: Deliver "first of a kind" solutions ranging from network and software development to embedded systems to protect our nation's critical strategic assets.
Disciplines: cyber security and computer science.
3. Data Sciences & Analytics: Operate on the data-to-knowledge continuum distilling large, fast, distributed, and messy data into knowledge to support decision processes.
Disciplines: applied statistics, data science, deep learning, applied machine learning.
4. Operations & Analysis: Use a multitude of information sources to identify threats to critical networks and systems, creating tools that help us become more efficient at identifying those threats.
Disciplines: cyber security, computer science, information management.
5. Software Engineering & Architectures: Develop and deliver well-architected software-centric systems and deploy sustainable software and hardware systems used in high-impact production environments.
Disciplines: software engineering, mobile application development, software testing.
6. Visual Analytics: Make complex data useful through skillful visual design, compelling human computer interaction, sound analytic methods, and solid engineering.
Disciplines: information visualization, human-computer interaction, virtual/augmented reality, data science.
To learn more:
****HOW TO APPLY****
Must complete all sections.
When prompted to “Upload Resume” you must bundle all the documents listed below into ONE-SINGLE PDF for upload and needs to include:
1)Resume or CV
2)Unofficial transcript for all current and past degrees
3)300-word essay describing how your specific interests pertain to one of the focus areas listed above.
If any one of the 3 components are not included and/or not uploaded in one-single PDF file, application will be rejected and will no longer be considered.
Once submitted, you can no longer make edits. Will need to create a new applicant profile and apply again.
Electronic applications are accepted during October through February timeframe. The deadline to apply is 11:59:59 pm PST prior to posting end date.
Candidates must be currently enrolled/matriculated in a PhD program at an accredited college. Minimum GPA of 3.3 is required.
Some projects may require U.S. citizenship.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Master's and PhD Level Internships
Group: Stat Modlng & Expr Design
Opening Date: 2017-10-01
Closing Date: 2018-02-17