Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Nuclear Risk Analyst in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306291
Directorate: Energy and Environment
Division: Earth Systems Sciences
Group: Risk & Decision Sciences
The Risk and Decision Sciences Group (RDS) at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) provides an opportunity to work in a dynamic environment solving challenging and interesting problems with national and international impact. The RDS team develops novel analytical methods and integrates them with state-of-the-art technologies to help clients, define the decision workspace, prioritize risks, and develop defensible risk management strategies. The team provides innovative solutions throughout the entire decision-making process that serve as the foundation for developing strategies to minimize risks to individuals or the public, program life cycles, facility designs and operations, and the environment.
We are seeking a Nuclear Risk Analyst to assist in identifying, analyzing, and implementing solutions to problems specific to nuclear risk analysis projects and programs. The successful candidate will have the ability to apply risk and decision analysis skills to develop strategic approaches in support of a diverse range of nuclear and other science related-projects including project risk, regulatory assessments, and engineering alternative studies. The successful candidate will apply knowledge and experience to assist in developing strategic approaches to compiling, analyzing and interpreting decision support data. This position provides support of risk analyses via participation in multidisciplinary teams of scientists and engineers in identifying, analyzing, and implementing solutions to problems in environment, energy, homeland security, and defense. The successful candidate will support the application of decision, risk, and system analysis to a diverse range of projects including new designs and modifications to existing nuclear and hazardous facilities, and critical national infrastructure (security and energy).
The successful candidate will:
- Support the application of risk analysis techniques to a variety of programs that the group supports
- Assist senior staff with risk elicitation and the production of risk results to communicate with the client.
- Provide input to the development of applicable project plans, schedules, and resource needs.
- The successful candidate will have background knowledge and familiarity with associated state-of-the-art tools and methodologies in areas including: risk assessment, systems analysis, and probabilistic risk/safety assessment.
The incumbent will generally work under the guidance of senior scientists and engineers. In addition to high-quality support for customers, a critical part of the position is the ability to quickly and effectively develop and demonstrate skills and abilities (technical, project management, and business development) that will lead to growth in responsibilities and career progression.
Providing technical support to projects, including the following:
- Provides technical support in the development of risk assessments
- Interprets results to identify issues, inconsistencies, etc.
- Ensures that technical products for assigned tasks are delivered with the required level of quality, timeliness, and cost to meet or exceed client expectations.
- Contributes to the technical content of proposals.
- Participates in interdisciplinary engineering and scientific project teams, and may interact with clients.
- Exhibits personal responsibility for and commitment to: continued career development, performing organizational roles, complying with organizational requirements, taking action to ensure personal safety and the safety of others at all times.
- Proactively identifies, promotes and develops new technical capabilities.
- Independently manages and completes recurring project specific tasks.
- Works autonomously but knows when to seek technical guidance.
- Program/Project Managers for performing assigned project roles for following applicable project and laboratory procedures and performance of assigned tasks on time and within budget.
- The Risk and Decision Sciences Technical Group Manager for general staff performance and development, operational discipline (e.g., maintaining training qualifications, procedural compliance, safe operations), and promoting cooperation and teamwork within group and projects.
- BS in nuclear, or mechanical engineering and 2 or more years of progressively responsible experience or MS or PhD in nuclear or mechanical engineering. Certification, licensure or experience may be substituted for an advanced degree.
Technical Expertise and Breadth of Knowledge: Knowledge of the integrated application of risk assessment techniques, risk models, statistical analysis, risk elicitation, and engineering design principles.
Technical Judgment: Experience in risk assessment of complex systems including nuclear and non-nuclear facilities. Understanding and evaluation of probability of occurrence using multiple techniques including fault tree and event tree is desired.
Past performance must demonstrate attributes of being self-motivated and self-directed, and must demonstrate experience in working with technical teams on specific projects and assignments. Must be able to prioritize activities and complete tasks with minimal supervision.
Experience in one or more of the following areas are beneficial:
- Risk elicitation
- Probabilistic Risk/Safety Assessment
- System engineering and analysis
- Based on client and project requirements, U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Future Department of Energy Clearance may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Risk & Decision Sciences
Opening Date: 2017-02-13
Closing Date: 2017-03-15