Pacific Northwest National Laboratory National Security Operations Manager in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306957
Directorate: National Security
Group: Operations Office
The primary role of the NSD Operations Office is to integrate operational capabilities, requirements, and solutions across NSD and the Support Organizations to enable and enhance effective and efficient project execution in support of the NSD mission.
Additionally, the incumbent must be viewed as an expert in the operational arena. The incumbent must be able to lead by effectively influencing management and staff at all levels, both internally and externally. The incumbent must be able to productively and proactively network to build good working relationships across the Laboratory.
The position reports to the National Security Directorate [NSD] Chief Operating Officer, and has day to day interface with the Division Directors, Technical Group Managers and Project Management Office Directors to provide guidance and support. The incumbent is expected to work with little to no direction and will have the latitude to make decisions on behalf of the NSD organization. Many of the assignments are self-initiated after 1) identification of a risk or condition that must be mitigated and/or 2) erroneous decisions or recommendations would result in failure to achieve NSD and/or Laboratory operational performance objectives. The incumbent may work on large, longer term tasks or short discreet tasks, either of which may be at differing complexities, risk and impact. Finally, the incumbent will be a task lead on operational initiatives as identified by the NSD Chief Operating Officer or other NSD senior managers.
Provides leadership to managers and professional staff. Is accountable for the performance and results of multiple related teams. Develops departmental plans, including business, research and/or organizational priorities. Decisions are guided by resource availability and organizational objectives.
This position is responsible for:
- Management of approximately $4M TMC budget.
- Oversight and day-to-day management of ES&H and Quality subject matter experts.
- Management of 13 staff in the Operations office and oversight and direction to >20 support staff
- Operational Performance Management, including planning and execution of the Annual NSD Operations Performance/Assessment Plan and NSD Operations Strategic Plan.
- Providing guidance and oversight to approximately 120 cognizant space managers.
- Assuring operational excellence via anticipation and communication of requirements, identification and mitigation of previously unidentified critical, high risk issues, strategic awareness, influencing operational culture and having a presence and demonstrating leadership within NSD and across the Laboratory.
- Facilitation and resolution of issues via advocacy for NSD staff & Management, and for Support Organizations, analysis of options, recommendations, maintaining situational awareness, communication, coordination, continuity and consistency.
- Foreign travel support for Lab-wide international travel. To successfully bridge between NSD mission execution and the operational requirements of doing business at PNNL, responding 24/7 to events and issues, staying abreast of organization and Lab level changes to requirements and assuring communications are effectively carried out related to the changes. This is an ever-changing work environment, where you are expected to be able to think strategically and anticipate upcoming impacts and risks, while responding to day to day needs of NSD.
- Bachelor’s degree with 10 years of experience or an advanced degree with 8 years of experience in a science/engineering area.
- Advanced degree and at least 12 years of extensive experience in broad operational positions (ESH/F&O/Quality) and clearly demonstrate expertise in strategic alignment, and integration/implementation of new operating principles and practices.
- The incumbent must be an experienced and respected leader, advisor and facilitator.
- Must have detailed knowledge of and experience with PNNL ES&H, Quality and F&O processes and systems.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain and maintain a federal security clearance.
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Managers
Group: Chief Operating Officer
Opening Date: 2017-10-12
Closing Date: 2017-10-28