Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Mechanical Test Technician in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306023
Directorate: Energy and Environment
Division: Energy Processes & Materials
Group: Applied Materials & Performance
The Materials Development & Testing Organization at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) seeks a Mechanical Test Technician, an individual with strong mechanical aptitude, proven experience operating diverse tool & machinery, and demonstrated success working in a complex, demanding industrial environment. Understanding of materials science, metallurgy, mechanical engineering, or materials engineering is preferred. The technical responsibilities of this position involves hands-on, day-to-day processing, testing, and characterization of metals and alloys, ceramic and polymer composites, claddings, and applications of structural materials. This position will be assigned defined tasks from senior level scientists and engineers responsible for the direction of programmatic activities.
- Complete assigned tasks on time with minimal oversight.
- Demonstrated skill in oversight of all activities/staff within a workspace and ability to mentor, monitor and supervise staff as necessary.
- Proven proficiency at multi-tasking and demonstrated success in safely performing multiple complex tasks in parallel and producing desired outcomes.
- Creative problem solving. Will be responsible for development of new capabilities and reporting methods.
- Independently compose portions of journal papers, reports, software, proceedings, scientific and technical products.
- Ability to generate technical content of proposals. Markets through excellent performance on projects.
- Contribute to the development of intellectual property leading to publications, copyrights and/or patents.
- To Task and Project Managers for executing well-defined tasks and assignments on time.
- To Technical Group Manager for maintaining expertise, as well as complying with all safety, security, and operational policies.
- To Cognizant Space Managers (CSMs) for safe operation of work conducted in laboratory spaces as well as assisting in training and oversight of others working in the labs.
- Technical institute graduate (TIG) or relevant AA degree with 2-3 yrs. relevant experience.
- BS in Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering or related scientific discipline and industrial experience is also preferred / helpful.
- Direct, hands-on operation of general laboratory equipment and knowledgeable regarding working in a research laboratory environment.
- Demonstrated proficiency in accurate data collection, analysis and reporting at a competence level acceptable for publication in scientific journals.
- Ability to design experiments and develop new test protocols to solve a variety of mechanical testing problems.
- Hands-on experience safely operating, maintaining and customizing complex experimental equipment and designing custom test systems/protocols.
- Thorough understanding of mechanical and structural drawings.
- Knowledge of basic analytical techniques for materials characterization (e.g., optical microscopy and metallographic specimen preparation).
- Must be comfortable working in teams with a diverse set of research staff, project tasks, and be able to accommodate rapid and demanding schedules.
- Have proven expertise in conducting multiple complex tasks simultaneously in a safe manner while achieving desired deliverables quickly and efficiently.
- Must possess good analytical, task management, and communications skills, both oral and written, and be able to communicate clearly the goals, parameters, objectives and outcomes of their research.
- The incumbent must be self-directed, detail-oriented, require minimal oversight while able to manage one’s own time and work load to assure project assignments are completed on time and within budget.
- Demonstrated competence with computer programming.
- Demonstrated success working with subordinate(s), peers and superiors.
- Experience with leading teams and successful team building.
- Demonstrated drive for self-improvement and developing new job skills.
- Mechanical property testing and data analysis.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment:
- High temperature furnaces, high-pressure autoclaves, compressed gases, mechanical test frames, nanomaterials and chemical solvents.
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Materials Devlpmt & Testing
Opening Date: 2016-11-25
Closing Date: 2016-12-04