Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Mechanical Engineer in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306530
Directorate: National Security
Division: Systems Engineering & Integration
Group: Electronics & Measurements Systems
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory’s Electronics & Measurement Systems group is searching for a mechanical engineer who possesses an understanding of computer automated drafting, mechanical assembly, and installation and test of equipment and systems. This position will support projects involved in the design and analysis of components and systems deployed in operational spaces, as well as test and support of ongoing projects. Additionally, this position will support work in a broad umbrella of national security missions and broad areas of mechanical engineering. Many projects will span both engineering and science.
This position will be responsible for designing and drafting complex parts for assembly using both traditional fabrication methods and additive manufacturing, and will also require close partnerships with multidisciplinary teams including material scientists, chemists, biologists, physicists and electrical engineers.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Present research results in formal reports and presentations, planning work, executing work scope, and preparing quality deliverables on time.
- Recommend technical approaches within responsibility area, advise project and task management, and contribute to project proposals for future work.
- Work with non-sensitive, sensitive, and classified information as appropriate for individual projects.
- Work in technical areas associated with topics related to the National Security of the United States.
- Contribute professionally, building a professional reputation for technical expertise. Fully apply and interpret standard theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies.
- May contribute to the development of intellectual property leading to publications, copyrights and/or patents.
- Mentor interns to aid in their professional development.
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering with 2+ years’ experience pertaining to additive manufacturing, mechanical assembly; or a Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering. Knowledge of mechanical engineering with an applied focus is required.
Expected to contribute professionally, building a professional reputation for technical expertise. Fully applying and interpreting standard theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies.
- Demonstrated experience with equipment deployment and testing of systems in the field
- AutoCAD/SolidWorks experience drafting complex, multi-part systems
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work on multiple projects concurrently
- Possess excellent writing, oral and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently or collaboratively in a team environment
- Demonstration of past multidisciplinary collaboration is a plus
- Experience with vacuum systems or high pressure systems is a plus
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Electronics & Measurement Syst
Opening Date: 2017-04-20
Closing Date: 2017-04-28