Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Machine Learning Senior Scientist in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306047
Directorate: National Security
Division: Computational & Statistical Analytics
Group: Applied Statistics & Computational Modeling
This position is for a Senior Scientist in Machine Learning who will focus a significant portion of their time on providing scientific and technical leadership within the National Security Directorate (NSD), focused on growing the data analytics capabilities of the Computational and Statistical Analytics Division. This Senior Scientist assists in guiding and developing Lab capabilities in analytics in both static and streaming application spaces. The Senior Scientist will define and carry out an original program of research in data analytics, growing a research portfolio and developing a significant external funding stream. A fundamental objective is to increase the Laboratory’s engagements with the world data analytics community to a level commensurate with our strengths and investments in information analytics and data-intensive computing, to ultimately enable the Laboratory to bring superior analytics capabilities to support its sponsor missions. This will require the Senior Scientist to draw on mature technical expertise across a range of computing disciplines, most strongly in the areas of machine learning, data mining, data-intensive computing, information visualization, and human computer interaction.
- Expert knowledge and strong research experience in multiple areas of computational analytics including data mining, text/multimedia analytics, machine learning, natural language processing, and human computer interaction.
- Ability to lead dynamic, geographically-distributed, multi-disciplinary teams of scientists and engineers to manage complex projects, and a large number of diverse staff.
- Ability to work in and support operations in a high-security environment.
Bachelor's degree with at least 7 years experience or a Master's degree with 5 years experience. Position requires an advanced degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics or closely related fields with experience involving increasing levels of scientific, management, and programmatic responsibility.
Must be a technical expert who selects and widely applies principles, theories and concepts in a major field of specialization.
PhD with 3+ years of experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* U.S. Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs, including marijuana, for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.
Directorate: National Security Dir
Job Category: Scientists/Scientific Support
Group: Appld Stats & Computa Modeling
Opening Date: 2016-11-16
Closing Date: 2016-12-17