Pacific Northwest National Laboratory IT Undergrad Intern in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306913
Directorate: Communications & Information Technology
Division: Research Computing
Group: Research Computing
Opportunities abound in our intern projects, which represent a broad range of technologies. You are given lots of autonomy to shape the final product, and will be exposed to a wide range of IT career options. Opportunities are flexible, and assignments range from 10-12 weeks with the possibility of extension. You will team with interns and paired with mentors and projects stewards. You are expected to become an active team member playing a central role in the design and development of critical solutions.
Our intern program includes:
•Strategically important and challenging projects staffed by interns, these include briefings with our CIO and senior management. These are guaranteed to look great on your resume.
•Numerous personal development opportunities, including coaching sessions & workshops and lab tours with a diverse range of PNNL staff, ranging from executive management to junior engineers.
•Active social committee to ensure you never have a dull moment and build friendships that will last a lifetime.
Example of previous projects that indicate the type of projects we will be doing:
• Focus investment and support the research environment by designing and building the next version of our Big Data Infrastructure and Application Health Dashboard.
• Protect our infrastructure, working with our cyber security analysts and researchers to develop applications and scripts to automate responses to cyber attacks.
• Inform our communications strategy by designing and building a dashboard that allows instant analysis of tweets. This was built using Kibana on elastic search. (Collaboration with our visual analytics researchers)
• Inform better computer purchasing decisions by using big data to objectively define a computer health score. (This idea was copyrighted)
• Transform how we present and distribute our Lab news and financial reports by re-thinking and re-designing how our customers can interact with this information. (UX/Communications collaboration)
Candidates must be degree-seeking students enrolled at an accredited college or university. Candidates must be taking at least 6 credit hours and have an overall GPA of 2.5.
Teams will be given project ownership and creativity is encouraged. You will be working with many people across the Lab on these projects, including executive management.
3.25 GPA or higher preferred.
You can hear from some of our existing mentors and students here:
We will be at #GHC17 and would love to connect with you there.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Comm & Information Technology
Job Category: Undergraduate Internships
Group: Research Computing
Opening Date: 2017-09-29
Closing Date: 2017-12-28