Pacific Northwest National Laboratory IT Technician in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306038
Directorate: Communications & Information Technology
Division: IT Service Delivery
Group: Help Desk
Come and work for a billion dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory’ (PNNL) an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself and make a difference. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, and flexible work schedules.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation’s energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a cleaner and safer place.
Our Technicians offer premier IT support services to our customers and researchers which is critical to the overall success of our organization at PNNL. This position is all about providing outstanding customer service enabling the use of leading edge information technology by research and operations staff working on the latest cutting edge science. Our Technicians provide both phone, desk-side and remote support to a broad and diverse customer base. In this position, you will also provide, scripting, network support and troubleshooting, wireless support, mobile device configuration and support as well as coaching to customers on the best application of technology solutions to meet their needs, installation of system software, perform periodic upgrades, and troubleshoot and resolve technical incidents and problems, restoring our customers to productivity. Our technicians offer bold support in a personal manner making the customer experience as effortless as possible.
You are a one stop shop for supporting all things tech. You thrive on using your creative approach to solve difficult challenges. You are a highly trained and experienced Technology technician focused on the customer experience with the goal of restoring productivity as fast as possible. You take pride in generating and promoting innovative ideas to drive product improvements and user productivity. You are quick to learn new technologies and take pride in cross platform expertise. While you live, eat, and breathe technology, your ultimate focus is on creating a simple and intuitive user experience that masks technical complexities. You have an instinctive understanding of how things fit together and take pride in creating the glue that brings systems together seamlessly. As someone with strong interpersonal skills you have the ability to effectively interact with customers, collaborate with other IT support technicians, and are passionate about technology. You bring strong troubleshooting skills and outside the box thinking to problem solving with your team. You understand the importance of process and culture in high performing organizations and thrive in a fast paced, high tech environment focused on results. You are a life-long learner devoted to the concepts of continuous improvement in everything you do.
You embrace new ideas, maintain positive attitude even in challenging situations, and the way in which you achieve success is consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration and Creativity.
You @ PNNL
Your key responsibilities and accountabilities would include:
- Mobile device administration in a BYOD environment
- Troubleshooting, researching, and resolving complex technical issues
- Provide customers with a personal, professional experience when requesting IT services and support.
- Perform work with the reliability, efficiency, and customer service orientation required to provide support from initial request to close-out.
- Manage your work and schedule to meet customer expectations and within service levels.
- Establish, maintain, and execute standard operations procedures to leverage efficiencies and best practices.
- Engage with technical service team leads to ensure effective support for these services and to consult on process issues and improvement.
- Use exceptional communication skills when interacting with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Use cutting edge technology to perform proactive incident management.
- Installs and maintains hardware/software systems, including workstations, and multiple thin and thick client technologies, supports all things technological for our research customers.
- Provide support on an as needed basis for a variety of projects.
- Network, wired and wireless support including switches, routers and hotspot configurations and support.
- Provides support for Mac, Windows PC, Linux/Unix, Android, and iOS.
- Manages work in Maximo Ticketing system.
Success in this role means delivering results through strong technical skill, communications, and collaboration with a relentless focus on what’s best for our users. Success means continually holding oneself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of co-workers. Success is walking into PNNL every work day with a belief that you can positively impact the research and development efforts at a national laboratory. You know that your work makes a difference with our clients and users.
Technical Institute Graduate (TIG)/Associate's Degree plus 2 years related experience; OR, 4 years related experience required.
- Demonstrated experience in managing enterprise desktop and mobile device environment
- Experience with OS X, iOS, Windows and Android management highly desirable
- Experience with VMware and Citrix desktop management and virtualization products.
- Ability to self-direct, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Exceptional communicator with both technical and nontechnical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate effectively in cross-functional teams
- Thorough understanding of Windows and Mac based personal computers, current operating systems, TCP/IP networking and office automations and productivity software such as the Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, MS Project and Access)
- Technical certifications, such as Microsoft Certified Processional (MCP), Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS), CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, HDI Support Center Analyst and HDI Desktop Support Technician, are preferred but not required.
- Expertise in principles and concepts of customer service and support
- Experience installing and troubleshooting operating systems, device drivers, and software applications
- Experience providing customer service and technical support, both on-site, remote and via the telephone
- Exceptional communicator with both technical and nontechnical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to team and collaborate effectively, a team player.
- Demonstrated troubleshooting and creative problem solving ability
- Customer service oriented and approachable
- Able to deliver results with highest level of professionalism and integrity
- Demonstrated ability to solve challenging technical problems with innovative solutions
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Comm & Information Technology
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: IT Service Delivery
Opening Date: 2016-11-14
Closing Date: 2016-12-05