Pacific Northwest National Laboratory IT Technician, Associate Senior in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306037
Directorate: Communications & Information Technology
Division: IT Service Delivery
Group: Help Desk
Come and work for a billion dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory’ (PNNL) an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself and make a difference. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, and flexible work schedules.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation’s energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a cleaner and safer place.
Our team is an advanced Tier 1 Help Desk offering premier IT support services to our customers and researchers which is critical to the overall success of our organization at PNNL. This position is all about providing outstanding customer service enabling the use of leading edge information technology by research and operations staff working on the latest cutting edge science. Our Help Desk technicians provide both phone, desk-side and remote support to a broad and diverse customer base. In this position, you will also provide coaching to customers on the best application of technology solutions to meet their needs, installation of system software, perform periodic upgrades, and troubleshoot and resolve technical incidents and problems, restoring our customers to productivity. Our technicians offer bold support in a personal manner making the customer experience as effortless as possible.
You are a highly trained and experienced IT technician focused on the customer experience with the goal of restoring productivity as fast as possible. You take pride in finding dynamic and innovative ways to effectively engage customers. As someone with strong interpersonal skills you have the ability to effectively interact with customers, collaborate with other Help Desk technicians, and are passionate about technology. You bring strong troubleshooting skills and outside the box thinking to problem solving with your team. You understand the importance of process and culture in high performing organizations and thrive in a fast paced, high tech environment focused on results. A life-long learner, you’re devoted to the concepts of continuous improvement in everything you do. You have a fearless, positive attitude, and the way in which you achieve success is consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration, and Creativity.
You @ PNNL
Your key responsibilities and accountabilities would include:
- Provide customers with a personal, professional experience when requesting IT services and support.
- Perform work with the reliability, efficiency, and customer service orientation required to provide support from initial request to close-out.
- Manage your work and schedule to meet customer expectations and within service levels.
- Establish, maintain, and execute standard operating procedures to leverage efficiencies and best practices.
- Study incident reports and complete trend analyses to identify opportunities for continuous improvement.
- Engage with technical service team leads to ensure effective support for these services and to consult on process issues and improvement.
- Use exceptional communication skills when interacting with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Use cutting edge technology to perform proactive incident management.
Success in this role means delivering results through strong teamwork and a relentless focus on what’s best for our customers. Success means continually holding oneself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of team mates. Success is walking into PNNL every work day with a belief that you can positively impact the research and development efforts at a national laboratory. You know that your work makes a difference with our clients and customers.
Technical Institute Graduate (TIG)/Associate's Degree; OR 2 years related experience required.
- Thorough understanding of Windows and Mac based personal computers, current operating systems, TCP/IP networking and office automations and productivity software such as the Microsoft Office suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio, MS Project and Access)
- Technical certifications, such as Microsoft Certified Processional (MCP), Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS), Comp TIA A+, HDI Support Center Analyst and HDI Desktop Support Technician, are preferred but not required.
- Expertise in principles and concepts of customer service and support
- Experience installing and troubleshooting operating systems, device drivers, and software applications
- Experience providing customer service and technical support, both on-site, remote and via the telephone
- Exceptional communicator with both technical and nontechnical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to team and collaborate effectively as a team player.
- Demonstrated troubleshooting and creative problem solving ability
- Customer service oriented and approachable
- Able to deliver results with the highest level of professionalism and integrity
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Comm & Information Technology
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: IT Service Delivery
Opening Date: 2016-11-14
Closing Date: 2016-12-05