Pacific Northwest National Laboratory IT Engineer - Infrastructure in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306081
Directorate: Communications & Information Technology
Division: IT Infrastructure
Group: Desktop & Mobile Management
Come and work for a billion-dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory’ (PNNL) an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself and make a difference. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, and flexible work schedules.
It’s all about transforming the user experience to enable the productivity of Laboratory research and support staff. This position will focus on management of the PNNL enterprise infrastructure platforms and be part of a team charged to implement the next generation of technology to create effortless user experiences and drive efficiency in operation. The position will play a leading role in establishing a consumer-like environment and user experience that is provisioned in minutes, supports elegant, leading-edge devices, provides access to information across platforms – anytime, anywhere, is seamlessly maintained, and can be recovered on a moment’s notice. The user-centric focus in design and implementation is a differentiator for IT at PNNL and will be a differentiator for the successful candidate.
YOU @ PNNL
Your key responsibilities and accountabilities would include:
- Developing and maintaining Enterprise level configuration management systems for Windows, Mac, and Linux environments
- Driving efficiencies in end-point and server deployment and management through modern tools and processes
- Delivering an immersive, any device from anywhere approach to applications and data leveraging cutting edge virtualization technologies
- Transitioning traditional on-premise infrastructure functions to a hybrid “Cloud” solution
- A focus on automation including advanced scripting technologies at scale
- Troubleshooting, researching, and resolving complex technical issues
- Writing procedures and documentation for processes to aid in troubleshooting and review
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field and 5 years experience or MS degree and 3 years experience (preferred); or 13 years experience.
- Experience in managing a complex, user experience focused Enterprise environment at scale (5000+ clients, 1000+ servers)
- Windows Client/Server management (2012R2/W7 and later) experience required, including use of SCCM and Microsoft Active Directory Group Policies
- Experience with commercial Cloud environments such as Amazon AWS, Microsoft Azure and Microsoft O365
- Experience with VMware and/or Citrix desktop and server virtualization products
- Experience with OS X, iOS and Android management highly desirable
- Knowledgeable in SAN technologies including NetApp
- Experience in using PowerShell, Bash, Python, VBScript or other scripting languages to run tasks, perform actions, and automate procedures
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Exceptional communicator with both technical and nontechnical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate effectively in cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to solve challenging technical problems with innovative solutions
- Customer service oriented and approachable
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
You thrive on using your creative approach to solve difficult challenges. You take pride in generating and promoting innovative ideas to drive product improvements and user productivity. You are quick to learn new technologies and take pride in cross platform expertise. While you live, eat, and breathe technology, your ultimate focus is on creating a simple and intuitive user experience that masks technical complexities. You are a life-long learner devoted to the concepts of continuous improvement. You embrace new ideas, maintain positive attitude even in challenging situations, and the way in which you achieve success is consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration and Creativity.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation’s energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a cleaner and safer place.
Located in Richland, Washington, and part of the Tri-Cities community at the confluence of the Columbia, Snake and Yakima rivers, residents enjoy abundant water recreation, award-winning wineries, and more than 300 days of sunshine a year. Far enough away from Seattle and Portland to avoid their rain and daily traffic jams but close enough to visit and enjoy their arts and culture. We're in the perfect position to choose between hiking and snow skiing in the Cascade Mountain range, world-class windsurfing in the Columbia Gorge, or camping in Hells Canyon. Perhaps these are among the reasons the Tri-Cities area is among the top 10 metropolitan growth areas for jobs in the United States, and why Money Magazine included it among its Top 100 Places to Live in America.
Success in this role means delivering results through strong technical skill, communications, and collaboration with a relentless focus on what’s best for our users. Success means continually holding oneself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of co-workers. Success is walking into PNNL every work day with a belief that you can positively impact on the research and development efforts at a national laboratory. You know that your work makes a difference with our clients and users.
Directorate: Comm & Information Technology
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: IT Infrastructure
Opening Date: 2016-11-23
Closing Date: 2016-12-07