Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Division Director, Energy Processes and Materials in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306003
Directorate: Energy and Environment
Division: Chief Operating Officer's Office
Group: Energy Processes and Materials
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is recruiting for a Director to lead the Energy Processes & Materials Division (EP&MD) within the Energy and Environment Directorate (EED). Annually, the EP&M Division conducts about $50 million of R&D for Department of Energy’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, DOE’s Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability, the Department of Defense, the private sector, and in partnership with regional universities and government agencies. The EP&MD comprises a growing organization of about 200 staff members in four technical groups based at the Lab’s Richland, Washington, campus and includes staff located at the Bioproducts Sciences & Engineering Laboratory (BSEL) on the Washington State University Tri-Cities campus in Richland. The division staff have capabilities in catalysis and conversion, electrochemical systems, separations and emissions management, and energy materials processing and manufacturing. The primary technical disciplines represented among the staff members are chemistry, materials science, chemical engineering, and biology. The division director is responsible for leading the technical capabilities in energy efficiency processes and materials, renewable energy including energy storage, and clean fossil energy.
This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO). The director is responsible for understanding and integrating underlying division technical capabilities within the directorate and lab-wide market sector contribution strategies and ensuring the maintenance and development of capabilities to meet current and future business needs. These include:
- Leading the development and execution of the EP&M Division Strategy and contributing to EED’s overall strategy.
- Developing research capabilities that are externally recognized for their national impact and effectively and efficiently utilized by the Lab’s R&D programs.
- Provide leadership to establish the technical reputation of the division in the scientific community and with sponsors.
- Leading a strong division management team and an institutionalized culture that assures a safe, secure, and compliant work place, a broadly supportive work environment, and engaged staff.
- Directing the hiring and management of staff, managing essential aspects of research operations and expert delivery, including interfacing with those responsible for managing project risk and execution.
- Managing and expanding the research facilities and equipment required to deliver on current and future business.
Professional Expertise: Must possess demonstrated strategic vision, technical leadership, and management skills. Knowledge of the trends and drivers within the Energy markets. Well-developed planning, organizational development, and business skills.
Breadth of Relevant Specialized Knowledge and Skills: Experience with programs in DOE’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy and Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability, as well as relevant industrial field experience, is preferred. Strong, proven interpersonal communications, problem solving and human relations skills.
Job level will be determined by the candidate’s unique experience/qualifications.
- Manager 4: Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, or business required along with 12 or more years of progressively responsible leadership, program leadership, or line management experience is required; or Advanced degree in engineering, science or business required along with 10 or more years of progressively responsible leadership, program leadership, and line management experience is required.
- Manager 5: Bachelor’s degree in engineering, science, or business required along with 15 or more years of progressively responsible leadership, program leadership, or line management experience is required; or Advanced degree in engineering, science or business required along with 13 or more years of progressively responsible leadership, program leadership, and line management experience is required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Managers
Group: Chief Operating Officer
Opening Date: 2016-11-04
Closing Date: 2017-01-15