Organization and Job ID : Job ID: 302513
Directorate: Fundamental Computational Sciences
Division: Computational Sciences & Mathematics
Position Title: Division Director, Computational Sciences & Mathematics
Position Level: Manager V
Job Description : The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is seeking a dynamic scientific leader with a national and international reputation and record of accomplishment to serve as the Director of the Computational Sciences & Mathematics Division.
The Computational Sciences & Mathematics Division Director (DD) is responsible for providing scientific leadership for the Division’s research programs and for maintaining the quality of research in the division by working with Division staff, the Associate Laboratory Director for Fundamental & Computational Sciences and others to existing programs and develop new programs in high performance computing, data intensive computing, data management, applied mathematics and computational science. The DD has management oversight of a staff of approximately 100 scientists and engineers and a research budget of approximately $25M.
The Division Director plays a major role in the recently established University of Washington-PNNL Northwest Institute for Advanced Computing where University of Washington faculty, staff and students and PNNL staff will collaborate to advance the use of computing in discovery and a broad range of application areas.
The Director of the Computational Sciences & Mathematics Division (CSMD):
- Provides scientific leadership for the Division’s research programs and for maintaining the quality in the division through management of existing programs and development of new ones.
- Builds collaborative programs with other research institutions and develops cooperative programs with industry to the mutual benefit of PNNL and its partners.
- Establishes and communicates policy, mission, goals and accomplishments to division staff, division sponsors, within CSMD, and to the broader research community.
- Makes substantial contributions to the formulation and direction of Laboratory programs that enhance PNNL’s preeminence as a National Laboratory.
- Serves as a key liaison to the Department of Energy officials in the Computational and Mathematic Science and related areas, and be expected to influence and implement U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) policies as they impact CSMD.
- Participates in formulating the research policy and long-term direction of the Laboratory as a whole and provide consultation to the Associate Laboratory Director regarding new initiatives for the strategic direction of CSMD.
- Responsible for all areas of management within the division including operation, environmental health and safety, administration, budget and human resources.
- Works as a team member with other scientific and operational Division Directors and across PNNL with the Associate Laboratory Director to advance the interests of PNNL and assure efficient, effective, and safe execution of research.
Minimum Requirements : Doctorate degree plus 13 years of experience. All staff at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Qualifications : - Recognized national and international reputation and record of accomplishment in a discipline relevant to the Division’s research and demonstrated experience with scientific management and development.
- Significant experience and demonstrated competence in the management of large-scale scientific projects and collaborative science.
- Ability to interact effectively with funding agencies such as DOE, and demonstrated ability to initiate substantial new research efforts and collaborations.
- Demonstrated scientific and strategic leadership ability applicable to running a large, diverse, team-oriented organization with a multidisciplinary group of scientists.
- Demonstrated experience in effective management and administrative oversight, creativity in decision making and problem solving, and a commitment to mentoring and career development.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to interact at the highest level of management, both internally and externally, in a constructive and collaborative manner.
Ph.D. in a scientific discipline relevant to computational science and a recognized record of research accomplishments in that field. 13+ years of relevant experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity : Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) is an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital or family status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. All staff at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Other Information : This position requires the ability to obtain a federal security clearance in a timely manner. Which requires:
* US Citizenship
* Background Investigation: Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified matter in accordance 10 CFR 710, Appendix B.
* Drug Testing: All Security Clearance (L or Q) positions will be considered by the Department of Energy to be Testing Designated Positions which means that they are subject to applicant, random, and for cause drug testing. In addition, applicants must be able to demonstrate non-use of illegal drugs for the 12 consecutive months preceding completion of the requisite Questionnaire for National Security Positions (QNSP).
Note: Applicants will be considered ineligible for security clearance processing by the U.S. Department of Energy until non-use of illegal drugs for 12 consecutive months can be demonstrated.