Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Database Administrator Engineer in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 305871
Directorate: Communications & Information Technology
Division: IT Infrastructure
Group: Enterprise Data Processing
Come and work for a billion-dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory’ (PNNL) an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself and make a difference. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, and flexible work schedules.
The PNNL IT Infrastructure Division is seeking a database administrator with deep experience in Microsoft SQL Server to develop, deploy and maintain multiple development, quality and production database environments. This position is part of a database team that works directly with software engineers and business customers to support business and research applications that enable the Lab research mission and staff productivity. This position offers the unique opportunity to support applications in Lab R&D as well as enterprise business. The successful candidate will be able to provide professional service to our customers while exhibiting technical acumen, innovation and automation with database technologies. User-experience focus in design, implementation and operations is a differentiator for IT@PNNL and will be a differentiator for the successful candidate.
YOU @ PNNL
Your key responsibilities and accountabilities would include:
- Implement and administer complex databases for business and research applications
- Provide technical expertise for SQL related design, configuration, performance and security
- Work with application developers to ensure databases conform to production standards
- Ensure reliability and availability of database platforms
- Evaluate and install software releases, upgrades and patches
- Troubleshooting and problem resolution for database related issues
- Identify process improvement and implement automation to increase efficiency and quality in operations
- Implement and manage capabilities for monitoring database availability and performance
- Ensure databases are backed to meet the business’ recovery objectives
- Provide off-hours and on-call support of production processing
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field and 5 years' experience or MS degree and 3 years' experience (preferred); or 13 years' experience.
- In-depth knowledge and expertise with Microsoft SQL Server
- Knowledge and understanding of all aspects of SQL Server database tuning: software configuration, memory usage, data access, data manipulation, SQL, and storage
- Development and execution of database security policies, procedures and auditing-experience with database authentication methods, authorization methods and data encryption techniques
- Preferred experience with MYSQL, NoSQL and Oracle DBMS
- Demonstrated ability to lead database technology deployments
- Operating system and hardware platform knowledge
- Demonstrated ability to self-direct, prioritize, and manage multiple tasks and priorities
- Exceptional communicator with both technical and nontechnical audiences
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate effectively in cross-functional teams
- Demonstrated ability to solve challenging technical problems with innovative solutions
- Customer service oriented and approachable
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
You thrive on using your creative approach to solve difficult challenges. You take pride in generating and promoting innovative ideas to drive product improvements and user productivity. You are quick to learn new technologies and take pride in cross platform expertise. While you live, eat, and breathe technology, your ultimate focus is on creating a simple and intuitive user experience that masks technical complexities. You are a life-long learner devoted to the concepts of continuous improvement. You embrace new ideas, maintain positive attitude even in challenging situations, and the way in which you achieve success is consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration and Creativity.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation’s energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a cleaner and safer place.
Located in Richland, Washington, and part of the Tri-Cities community at the confluence of the Columbia, Snake and Yakima rivers, residents enjoy abundant water recreation, award-winning wineries, and more than 300 days of sunshine a year. Far enough away from Seattle and Portland to avoid their rain and daily traffic jams but close enough to visit and enjoy their arts and culture. We're in the perfect position to choose between hiking and snow skiing in the Cascade Mountain range, world-class windsurfing in the Columbia Gorge, or camping in Hells Canyon. Perhaps these are among the reasons the Tri-Cities area is among the top 10 metropolitan growth areas for jobs in the United States, and why Money Magazine included it among its Top 100 Places to Live in America.
Success in this role means delivering results through strong technical skill, communications, and collaboration with a relentless focus on what’s best for our users. Success means continually holding oneself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of co-workers. Success is walking into PNNL every work day with a belief that you can positively impact on the research and development efforts at a national laboratory. You know that your work makes a difference with our clients and users.
Directorate: Comm & Information Technology
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: Enterprise Data Processing
Opening Date: 2016-10-06
Closing Date: 2016-12-05